Women’s basketball suffers second straight MAC loss

the Falcons and the Redhawks shake hands after the Falcons lose 75-82.

The Falcon women’s basketball team were defeated by the Central Michigan Chippewas 92-54 Wednesday, as the team falls to a 1-12 record against MAC opponents so far this season. Central Michigan came into the game in first place in the MAC’s West Division and was able to increase their lead as they moved to a 10-3 record against MAC opponents.

“One of the main points that we made in the locker room was that this is what elite looks like and I hope that you felt what that felt like,” Falcons head coach Robyn Fralick said of Central Michigan.

The first quarter began with Central Michigan taking a 31-17 lead, as the Falcons initially held an 11-9 advantage near the midway point of the quarter before the Chippewas made a 13-point rally to pull ahead for the remainder of the quarter, with Central Michigan sophomore guard Micaela Kelly and freshman center Jahari Smith each scoring 4 points during the run. However, junior guard Andrea Cecil still had a strong quarter, leading the team offensively with 8 points.

In the second quarter, Central Michigan would increase their lead even further, outshooting the Falcons 21-12 to give themselves a 52-29 advantage heading into halftime. Central Michigan took advantage of a late rally, earning them 11 consecutive points, 6 of which came from senior forward Reyna Frost. Cecil had a double-digit half with 10 points, while freshman guard Morgan McMillen followed not far behind with 9.

“They have a lot of players that can do multiple things,” Fralick said. “Defensively, I thought they were really locked in against us. Our turnovers early really hurt us; I thought it made us tentative, and it also gave them more momentum.”

In the third, the Falcons continued to struggle to hold off the Central Michigan offense, as the Chippewa’s outshot the Falcon’s 24-13 on the quarter to make it a 76-43 game. Central Michigan led off the quarter with 9 straight points before being broken up by a Falcon layup, which was then followed by 4 more Central Michigan points on a layup and two successful free throws. McMillen led the team offensively in the quarter with 5 points.

The fourth quarter saw Central Michigan outscore the Falcons 16-11 to seal the 92-54 victory. Central Michigan’s strongest run in the quarter was 8 points, with senior guard Presley Hudson getting 6 of those points with a pair of 3-pointers.

Cecil and McMillen each ended the game with 14 points to lead the Falcons offense, while Central Michigan was led by Hudson, who had 24 points, along with Frost who finished with 21.

“Presley Hudson and Reyna Frost — they’re two of the best players in the league and two of the best players in the country,” Fralick said. “It’s not coincidental, they have an incredible relationship with the basketball, and if you want to be elite, that’s what it looks like … A great way to learn from it is to see what it feels like go up against it and be inspired to get better.”

The team will next play Saturday afternoon on the road against the Miami RedHawks.