Kent State women’s basketball defeats Ball State 65-50, advances to conference championship 

Jack Rintamaa
Cleveland, OH – Cardinals junior Marie Kiefer lining up a corner 3 pointer at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse

The Kent State women’s basketball team (20-10, 14-5 MAC) upset Ball State (28-5, 16-3 MAC) in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) semifinals on Friday, 65-50.   

With the win, the Golden Flashes will return to the conference championship game for the 12th time in program history and the first time since 2006.  

GAME RECAP  

After Kent State scored the game’s first points, both teams hit a three-pointer over the next few possessions, which tied the game at five apiece.  

However, the Golden Flashes dominated the rest of the first quarter, going on a 12-0 run and holding BSU scoreless for nearly seven-and-a-half minutes, closing the quarter with a 14-5 advantage.  

The teams opened up the second quarter with three combined triples, leaving Kent State with a six-point lead, 17-11.  

KSU scored four more unanswered, extending their lead to 10 points. But BSU responded with a 6-2 run, cutting the Golden Flashes lead back to six points halfway through the second half, 23-17.  

While the Cardinals cut KSU’s lead to as little as four points at one point, the Golden Flashes closed the half on a 7-2 run, heading to the locker rooms with a 33-24 lead at halftime.  

The teams continued to battle back and forth and traded shots for much of the third quarter.  

Kent State maintained a double-digit lead for much of the period, closing the third quarter with a 13-point advantage, 52-39.  

The Cardinals opened the fourth quarter with a 7-2 run, cutting KSU’s lead to 54-46 with eight minutes remaining.  

Both teams struggled to make shots down the stretch, going on multiple lengthy scoreless droughts.  

Although the Golden Flashes were scoreless for over four minutes at one point, they responded by finishing the contest on a 7-0 run while holding the Cardinals scoreless for the final four-and-a-half minutes of the game, punching their ticket to the championship game.  

REVIEW OF THE GAME  

The Golden Flashes were electric on offense, shooting 45% (27-60) from the field and 50% (5-10) on three-pointers.  

Meanwhile, the Cardinals struggled to find the bottom of the net, shooting just 32.1% (18-56) from the field and 26.7% (8-30) from beyond the arc.  

Kent State dominated on the glass, outrebounding BSU 50 to 23, including grabbing 11 more offensive boards.  

Four Golden Flashes scored in double figures, led by junior forward Bridget Dunn and freshman forward Janae Tyler, who each finished with 16 points.   

Redshirt senior guard Katie Shumate tallied a 12-point and 14-rebound double-double, while junior forward Jenna Batsch added 10 points and a team-high five assists.  

Junior guard Ally Becki led Ball State with 13 points and seven assists.  

Meanwhile, junior forward Alex Richard led the Cardinals with six rebounds and junior guard Madelyn Bischoff added 10 points.  

NEXT UP  

KSU will battle Buffalo (19-12, 10-8 MAC) for the MAC Tournament Championship and trip to the NCAA Tournament on Saturday.  

Falcon Media Sports Network’s Lucas Kleimeyer and Artie Abrego will have the call of the game on Falcon Radio at 10:40 for pregame and 11 a.m. for tip-off.