Nick DiPillo goes from land to sea, becomes new Le Moyne Dolphins head coach

Claire Sant
BGSU team celebrating

Former Bowling Green women’s basketball assistant coach Nick DiPillo is heading for greener pastures in a move to become the new head coach of the Le Moyne Dolphins in the 2024-25 season.

DiPillo spent only one year at Bowling Green, helping head coach Fred Chmiel earn the Falcons their fourth straight winning season in the Mid-American Conference (MAC).

DiPillo has over 20 years of experience coaching at the college and professional levels of women’s basketball including four years as an assistant coach for the WNBA’s New York Liberty from 2005 until 2009.

In his only stint as a head coach at the college level, DiPillo spent three seasons with the University of Scranton, a Division III program that earned themselves two Landmark Conference championships and a 58-8 overall record under the leadership of the New Jersey native.

Le Moyne College saw success in their first year in NCAA Division I basketball under former head coach Mary Grimes, earning an 18-15 record while going 14-2 in Northeast Conference play and making it to the NEC championship game, where they lost to Sacred Heart.

DiPillo will look to help the Dolphins continue to flourish as a new D1 program, while Bowling Green starts the search for a new assistant coach to accompany Chmiel and assistant coaches Maggie Lucas and Lexxus Graham-Blincoe in the 2024-25 season.