BGSU preps for Murray State Homecoming weekend

Bryson Denley (12) followed by Austin Dorris (83) kneels in the endzone after scoring a touchdown last season against Toledo.

BGSU football is gearing up for their week three matchup against the Murray State Racers on homecoming night. 

The Falcons (0-2), come into the matchup off the heels of a 22-19 loss to South Alabama last week at the Doyt in the home opener. For the Racers (1-1), they come into the matchup following a week two loss to the No. 7-ranked Cincinnati Bearcats, 42-7. 

This is the second meeting between the two teams in series history. The Falcons won the first ever meeting in 2013 48-7 at the Doyt. At the current moment, ESPN’s Football Power Index gives the Falcons a 75% chance to win on Saturday.

For the visiting Racers, they are going for their first win over an FBS school since defeating Louisville in 1984. In last week’s game, the Racers led the Bearcats in the second quarter, and were tied at halftime. 

Head coach Dean Wood is in his second season with the Racers. In his first year, he led the Racers to a 5-2 record and a second place finish in the Ohio Valley Conference. 

The Racers are led by quarterback Preston Rice, a redshirt junior from Waynesboro, Tennessee. Currently, his five rushing touchdowns are the most out of any player in the FCS this season. 

Through two games this season, the Racers are averaging 21.0 points per game, while also averaging 200 yards on the ground. In the air, the Racers are struggling, as they average only 148.5 yards a game, and have yet to score a touchdown. 

Defensively, the Racers bring back all 11 starters from their 2020 defense. In week one against Mississippi Valley, the Racers achieved a shutout en route to a 35-0 victory. 

For the Falcons, they come into the matchup hungry for their first win, as they lost last week on a game-winning field goal. 

Head Coach Scot Loeffler’s offense last week was high powered, as their 660 yards of total offense was the most put up since 2004 against Western Michigan. 

Quarterback Matt McDonald leads the helm for the Falcons as the MAC’s #1 quarterback in passing yards (495), yards per game (247.5), total offense (234) and completions per game (24.0). His performance last week, in which he threw for over 300 yards for the time in his career, earned him MAC East Offensive Player of the Week.

Defensively, the Falcons are being led by junior linebacker Darren Anders, who is the only player in the nation with 20+ tackles (22), one interception, one fumble recovery, one forced fumble and one sack. Last week against South Alabama, he recorded his first ever interception, in which he returned it 27 yards for a touchdown. 

The Falcons are averaging 12.5 points per game, while the defense is giving up an average of 30 points per game through two games this season.

Players to watch

Murray State: Running Back Cortezz Jones

The 5’11, 226 lb redshirt freshman racked up over 1300 yards and 23 touchdowns in 2019. His big play potential gives the Racers an added threat coming out of the backfield. 

Bowling Green: Wide Receiver Austin Osborne

Osborne is ranked No. 11 in the nation according to ESPN’s Football Power Index, and leads the MAC with 7.5 receptions per game. A transfer from Washington, Osborne is becoming a go to target for McDonald. 

Kickoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. at Doyt. Perry Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 19th. For more information, check out BGSUFalcons.com.