South Main Street fire under investigation

The cause of a fire which shut down South Main Street for an hour Wednesday was still under investigation Thursday.

The Bowling Green Fire Division responded to a call from BG Hats and Apparel, 133 S. Main St., at 1:06 p.m. after the owner of the business noticed water coming from an upstairs apartment, the fire division reported.

Jen Waddington, owner of Waddington Jewelry and Engraving at 139 S. Main St., said her business had to be shut down for an hour because it shares a wall with BG Hats and Apparel.

“We didn’t really know what was going on,” she said. “Our neighbor, the owner of the hat store, came down to let us know there was a fire.”

BG Hats and Apparel had a lot of water and smoke damage, she said.

The business was dark and emptied Wednesday afternoon.

While the origin of the fire is unknown, the fire was reportedly confined to the bathroom of the apartment.

The report states that firefighters kicked in the door of two apartments at 133 1/2 S. Main St. The fire was located in a bathroom of a heavy black smoke-filled apartment and was nearly extinguished by a damaged sink which was spraying water.

The fire was put out with no issues, said Lt. Dave Hagelmeyer of the Bowling Green Fire division.

“Our guys did a good job knocking it down,” he said. “It was a quick extinguish. Everything went well on our side.”

The report states the situation was clear by 1:50 p.m.

The apartment was unattended at the time of the fire. The report stated a fire detector was present and had operated properly.