Homecoming week is the only time of the year people seem to be proud of the school

To the average eye, homecoming is a week full of spirit across campus that seems to come right out of nowhere. We knew it arrived when we saw the “Don’t stop BGing” signs in the grass and the mysterious messages from SICSIC plastered to the Union.

Approximately 70 activities will take place this week and more students are choosing to wear orange and brown.

The University commmunity is doing all it can to ensure the Falcons soar over the Rockets this Saturday.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the only week students really care to show their Falcon pride.

The word “apathy” has been used often when talking about the students at the University. It could be a fair word to use though.

Students seem to take at least a little pride in the University during homecoming week, but they should try to show more pride during the rest of the academic year and get more invested in their University.

Fortunately, efforts by new administrators – like University President Mary Ellen Mazey’s re-initiating of “Falcon Fridays” – are pushing for an improvement in the pride department.

However, much more still needs to be done.

Although it will never be fully accomplished, more students should wear orange and brown whenever they can instead of wearing clothing from Ohio University, Miami University and University of Toledo.

More students should embrace not only our athletic programs, but also our award-winning musical art and theatre programs. Go to shows and games and show your Falcon pride by doing so.

A little bit of school spirit really can go a long way to bring us together as a community.

Unfortunately, the University isn’t doing all it can to promote school spirit during homecoming week and throughout the semester.

As if it wasn’t difficult enough to get students invested, homecoming week seems less important this year, as it was scheduled during the same week as Fall Break. Three of the seven days to celebrate were eliminated this year.

Regardless of when the football team could face the University of Toledo, the University should have pushed for a full week of homecoming, rather than a week when students are returning from break (which they probably would have rather stayed on because of their overall lack of investment in the University).

In addition to homecoming being scheduled the same time as Fall Break, the momentum that existed for the Centennial Homecoming seems to have evaporated.

The University’s 101-year anniversary is just as outstanding as 100 years, and it should be celebrated with just as much enthusiasm and public relations coordinating by the University.

If University officials are only excited for homecoming every 100 years, students will adopt the same mentality.

The University and the student body need to communicate and work harder together to improve the spirit and pride across campus on a daily basis.

The University’s 101 years hold a lot of history and a lot to make students proud.

Celebrate traditions by wearing orange and brown, get to know alumni this weekend and of course, stay connected by reading The BG News.

Who knows if they’ll all still be around in another 99 years when the University and the rest of the students decide to show their spirit again?

Respond to the staff at