Get to know undergraduate student government leaders

Emily Ancinec

USG President, Senior

Major: Political Science

From: Saline, Michigan

Chose the University because: She fell in love when she stepped onto the campus.

Platform: Strengthening the student voice, increasing school spirit and addressing campus policies.

To returning students: Continue to have an open mind and to push yourself to be the best student and the best person you can be.

Key USG issues this year: “The biggest one is the one we don’t know about, that hasn’t come up yet, that’s kind of our rule of thumb, but I think the big ones are the Connecting Undergraduate Education program, shared governance with the new unionization that’s coming through and trying to make sure students have the same strong voice that we’ve always had.”

If USG could accomplish one thing the whole year, she would want it to be: To increase morale and get an energy on campus that promotes growth and excitement for what Bowling Green has to offer.

Rob Orians

USG Vice President, Junior

Major: AYA Mathematics

From: Curtice, Ohio

Chose the University because: The education program and he really enjoyed the campus and the atmosphere.

Platform: Improving the campus atmosphere, fixing some policy problems and making sure the student voice is heard on the bigger issues.

To returning students: Get involved if you’re not; play hard and study hard.

Key USG issues this year: CUE, the retention of students on campus, making sure student’s voices are heard on issues such as tuition and fixing the shuttle.

If USG could accomplish one thing the whole year, he would want it to be: Make the University’s retention rate higher.

Ben Goldsberry

USG Speaker, Junior

Major: Choral Music Education

From: Bay Village, Ohio

Chose the University because: It has a strong music program and it is big enough that it had a lot of opportunities, but small enough that he didn’t feel like a just a number.

Platform: Transparency and through that, letting people know USG exists.

To returning students: Take advantage of every opportunity that’s given to you.

Key USG issues this year: To get all the senate seats filled.

If USG could accomplish one thing the whole year, he would want it to be: For USG to be the channel for every student to have their voice heard.

Name: Jameson Taylor

USG Position: Chief of Staff

Year: Sophomore

Major: Management and Marketing

From: Bedford Heights, Ohio

Chose the University because: he loved the people, atmosphere and the college of business was high ranked

Joined USG because: it gave him the opportunity to get involved with a different group and to change things in an orderly manner

Platform: Applied for position, with ideas about making the University multicultural and trying to integrate more people in other organizations into the process

Key USG Issues this year: He wants to focus on getting more people involved and getting more voices heard, as well as collaborating with other big organizations

Most excited about for this year in USG: To see where we can take USG and solve as many problems as we can

If USG could accomplish one thing the whole year, he would want it to be: Meeting the goals USG has already set out, such as to improve student parking.

Name: Tabitha Timbrook

USG Position: Head of Academic Affairs Committee, At-large senator

Year: Junior

Major: History and Political Science

From: Dayton, Ohio

Chose the University because: Her parents both went to the University and when she came everyone was friendly and she wanted to be a part of it.

Joined USG because: She wanted to help make a difference on campus and make her voice heard

Platform: Improve academic advising, the absentee policy and print responsibly

To Returning Students: Stay involved and embrace everything the University has to offer

Key USG Issues this year: “There are lots of ideas being bounced around, but it’s a lot about being flexible – for her committee – registration, absentee policy.”

Most excited about for this year in USG: Getting back to work

If USG could accomplish one thing the whole year, they would want it to be: To make sure the students voice is heard on every issue

Name: Jared Pokorny

USG Position: Chair for the Student Affairs Committee and Senator At-Large

Year: Senior

Major: Marketing

From: Cleveland, Ohio

Chose the University because: He loved the campus and they had his major

Joined USG because: He was involved in government in high school and he wanted to further his involvement in college, it also helped him to meet more people

Platform: Represent the student body, get students more involved in Bowling Green, make rental cars available to students and be able to use BG1 Cards at more off-campus locations

Key USG Issues this year: BG1 Card and tradition

If USG could accomplish one thing the whole year, they would want it to be: Recruitment and Retention for the University

Name: Derek Sword

USG Position: Chair of Internal Affairs and Senator At-Large

Year; Senior

Major: Psychology

From: Dayton, Ohio

Chose the University because: it is a good distance from home and he liked the size of the town

Joined USG because: he was a proxy for a fraternity brother his freshan year and he found it interesting and became a senator the next year

Platform; to be more organized and keep things running well internally

To Returning Students: keep your ears and eyes open, stay updated and speak up if you don’t like something

Key USG Issues this year: construction of buildings, transportation ease, rental car service and other real needs of students

Most excited about for this year in USG: to see the ideas people come up with

If USG could accomplish one thing the whole year, they would want it to be: trying to tackle the issues students see with tuition

Name: Alex Solis

USG Position: Chair of Auxiliary Affairs and At-Large Senator

Year: Sophomore

Major: Sports Management

From: Lincoln Park, Michigan

Chose the University because: the program for his major is one of the best in the nation.

Joined USG because: it was one of the best opportunities to be a voice for the student body and a way to leave Bowling Green better than he found it.

Platform: Improve public safety, the shuttle, work closer with the athletic department on initiatives so students can start going to games more and be a stronger voice for the student body.

Key USG Issues this year: Dining services and the new dining halls, the rec center and how to improve it.

Most excited about for this year in USG: To see how everyone works together as a team and what they can do for the students.

If USG could accomplish one thing the whole year, they would want it to be: To improve marketing and communication.

Name: Alex Benson

USG Position: At-Large Senator

Year: Senior

Major: Political Science and Economics

From: Findlay, Ohio

Chose the University because: He heard good things about the economics program here

Joined USG because: All the things changing over the past years with construction and reforms on state government with education getting cut. He didn’t know much about what was going on and he wanted to learn more.

Platform: He was a write-in candidate without a platform

To Returning Students: Keep doing what you’re doing

Key USG Issues this year: Parking, different scheduling

Most excited about for this year in USG: Making a difference or understanding the process so I can help other people understand it too

If USG could accomplish one thing the whole year, they would want it to be: getting more people involved in the process, getting their names out there