Undergraduate numbers rise as total enrollment declines

The University’s Office of Admissions has been aiming for student growth for the past couple of years, and the enrollment figures for Spring 2011 reflect the increase administrators have been looking for.

“Nothing here is surprising,” said Albert Colom, vice president of Enrollment Management.

Though the total student head count at both the main campus and Firelands campus decreased by 44 students from Spring 2010, the total undergraduate head count is up 0.2 percent, according to enrollment reports from the Office of Institutional Research. The number of total credit hours being taken this semester is also up 0.5 percent.

The graduate student head count fell by 7.8 percent, and most of this decline was from the College of Education, said Timothy Messer-Kruse, interim vice provost of Academic Programs.

“The fact that those other colleges are steady or slightly up [in enrollment] seems to me that there must be an economic reason [for the decrease],” Messer-Kruse said.

Undergraduate retention from Fall 2010 to Spring 2011 is 90 percent, Colom said. Almost 400 students didn’t enroll from last fall to this semester.

About one third of those who didn’t enroll did not do so because of poor grades.

“You’re always going to have some melt away from academic reasons,” Colom said.

He said the rest of those students who didn’t continue into this spring gave financial reasons for not returning.

While University enrollment has been down for the past couple of years, through increased recruitment efforts, Colom said the University is attracting more students, especially transfer students, which are up 43 percent this semester.

As well as high schools, Colom said Admissions has been working on recruiting students from community colleges, career fairs, military bases and different businesses.

The numbers projected for next fall show that it might be the biggest fall freshmen class in University history.

Applications received for next year are up 22 percent from last year, and admitted students are up 15.6 percent. The number of incoming freshmen who have already paid for their on-campus housing fees is up 113 percent.

“We are on track to have the largest freshman class,” Colom said. “I’m shooting for 4,000.”

ENROLLMENT FIGURES

University Spring 2011 head count

Graduate: 2,644

Undergraduate: 13,663

Total: 16,307

Firelands Spring 2011 head count

Graduate: 0

Undergraduate: 2,405

Total: 2,405

University Spring 2010 head count

Graduate: 2,869

Undergraduate: 13,402

Total: 16,271

Firelands Spring 2010 head count

Graduate: 2

Undergraduate: 2,483

Total: 2,485

Source: Office of Institutional Research