November 30, 2023

• Repairing the Family
    By Jay Grummel Earlier this month I wrote about fond families, however the holidays are made up of many different types of families. Some will be hostile and dysfunctional or some will be loving and understanding. Whatever your family looks like this season, it’s always nice to read about ones other than your own. So, […]
  • Review of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    Let’s time-travel to the year 2012 and the world is raving about none other than Katniss Everdeen. I remember being in elementary school, begging my mother to let me dress up as her for my birthday. Now it’s over ten years later and I’m still just as excited for the new movie as I was […]

Trio of candidates squares off

Candidates offered colorful and articulate responses to many of the questions posed at the Undergraduate Student Government vice presidential debate last night, including what type of tree they would be.

Chelsea Lambdin wants to be a pollen spreading tree to “agitate” USG into more effectively advocating for students.

Bernard Little wants to be a palm tree because, every once in a while, he needs to stop and breathe during his hectic schedule.

Greg Kohlreiser wants to be the stinky tree by Mosely Hall because, like the alleged intense odor of the tree, he “won’t go away — from the issues.”

The candidates were all quick to praise the work USG has done over the past year, but each agreed change is necessary.

“We need to get off our high horses. It’s time for us to get out and serve,” Little said.

All the candidates were quick to point out the competency of their opponents to fill the position, and though they share similar platforms, each stressed the directions of their terms could be different.

Only Little has experience serving in USG, currently as chief of staff, but neither Kohlreiser and Lambdin are concerned about inexperience.

Lambdin, who is running with USG senator Niki Messmore, has been attending USG meetings regularly. Most recently she co-authored legislation to endorse a letter to be sent to Gov. Taft for the lowering of flags in honor of fallen Ohio soldiers.

“Michael Ginsburg (Associate Dean of Students) said that every student is a member of USG,” Lambdin said. “I think that’s right.”

Kohlreiser, who is involved in numerous extra-curricular activities, believes that his lack of familiarity with USG may be a positive element as he can provide a fresh voice. Since he is running on the same ticket as incumbent president Alex Wright, Kohlreiser thinks his greenness to USG procedure is a non-factor.

“With Alex and I there would be continuity in him being elected again. Plus I could bring in viewpoints from outside organizations,” Kohlreiser said.

Much of the debate was focused on communication both within USG and the student community. Little, who is running with USG’s Greek liaison Aaron Shumaker, keyed in on the legislative process and how to improve it.

“Whenever an issue is brought to USG, there is a five minute debate period. A senator will then raise their hand and say ‘I think.’ Before we form an opinion we need to talk to our constituents,” Little said.

Lambdin is excited to tackle big student issues facing BGSU, something she has been doing well before her current campaign. Working better with students to improve communication is one of the strengths of a Messmore/Lambdin ticket, more so than their opponents, Lambdin said.

Kohlreiser also wants to promote a dialogue between student and representatives. He seeks to do this by getting involved first-hand.

“I look forward to the opportunity to make USG not just a legislative body, but a student organization,” Kohlreiser said.

The elections for USG president and vice president will be held on-line at the BGSU Web site beginning at 8 a.m. Monday, April 11 and ending 8 a.m. Wednesday, April 13.

The debate was moderated by USG chief administrator Erica Baughman. Questions were submitted by senators and all three candidates were given two minutes to answer — opening and closing remarks were given four minutes each. Questions were also fielded from audience members.