Student arrested on menacing charges

A University student who had a shotgun and a “hit list” in his residence room will not be returning to Bowling Green State University following his appearance in court yesterday.

Brent Arnold, senior, was charged with aggravated menacing and has voluntarily withdrawn from the University. As far as university sanctions against Arnold, the case is still pending. Arnold, currently under interim suspension, still faces the student disciplinary process. If he chooses to reenroll into the University, he could face penalties from a warning to permanent expulsion, pending the hearing.

Arnold, a cadet in the University’s Army ROTC program, and a friend went to the campus police station on Saturday and told the police that Arnold was thinking about harming himself.

“It’s not unusual for a student feeling depressed to speak to us,” police Chief James Wiegand said.

Later the police received information that Arnold had a weapon in his Harshman-Anderson dorm room. At that point, police escorted Arnold to his room where he turned over a shotgun and ammunition to the authorities.

In addition to the shotgun Arnold purchased, he also had a list of names of people who, Wiegand believes, were fellow residents of Harshman-Anderson. Arnold’s intentions for the people on the list are unknown.

Arnold was taken to a treatment facility by police Saturday night because he was suffering from depression.

“The major concern is for the safety of the students, that’s why he was taken to treatment,” Wiegand said.

He appeared in Bowling Green Municipal Court yesterday morning, was charged and then released. He left with his parents and will not be on campus, according to the police.

Students living nearby Arnold were surprised and troubled by the situation.

“It’s scary because he had access to the area of our dorm, he lived real close,” said Kelly Burrows, resident of Dunbar.

Others were troubled by his possible intentions.

“I was shocked that he had a hit list,” said Bromfield resident Martha Daniel said.

Media Relations Director Teri Sharp urged students who are feeling disheartened to make use of the Counseling Center on campus.

“We are continually doing our best to offer the services to students who are feeling depressed,” Sharp said.