Students learn about what true love and finding “the one” could mean

As Valentine’s Day approaches, the search for true love is on for many at the University while others may have found some answers last night at the Bowen-Thompson Student Union.

Katie Weakland, a professor of biology at Bethel College in Indiana, presented the speech “What is True Love?” to a group of students at an event sponsored by the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, a campus ministry.

The search for true love is everywhere, as Weakland pointed out, from television shows like “The Bachelor,” to Internet dating. But why does everyone want to be loved? Weakland argued that love is not a human invention and that it is directly tied to faith in God. “If we are going to be the best person we can be, we need to learn how to love,” Weakland said.

She demonstrated this point with a story of a couple she met when she was 15. Mary Lou and Jim married young and had several children before Jim suffered a stroke. Jim was paralyzed and totally dependent on Mary Lou for everything. Even though he was unable to communicate to her, Mary Lou cared for his every need for seven years. Around this time, technological advances allowed Jim to speak to her through a voice synthesizer. He repeated “I love you” to his wife for several hours to express his appreciation for the sacrifices she made for him.

Weakland argues that the love Mary Lou had for Jim is similar to the love God has for each of us. “Mary Lou didn’t just marry Jim because she wanted to be loved but to love him,” Weakland said. Weakland added that much like Mary Lou, God will not give up on us.

Students discussed how to know when somebody is “the one” and how to love those who make it difficult to do so. Weakland cited perseverance and patience as qualities necessary to make relationships function. “True love is about giving all you have and all you are to help others be the best they can be.”

Weakland has been employed by and volunteered with IVCF and has traveled to other universities to give this speech. The speech was part of a monthly forum that IVCF sponsors. Next Tuesday they will be hosting a follow-up to this session to answer any questions people might have on this topic. To find more information on the next meeting, contact Rachel Milliken at [email protected].