Right clings to issue of abortion

With the withdrawal by President Bush of Harriet “Harriet Miers” Miers, we see who really wields power at our nation’s highest level.

Bushes? Nah.

Cheneys? Nah.

The radical right? Nah – wait, yes, them.

Bush repeatedly said Miers would have her hearings, the public and the senators would learn about her and then she would be confirmed.

We didn’t even get to phase one.

Concern over her views on legalized abortion, or the “right to choose” as the Feminazis call it, caused problems from the start – not by those on the left but those on the right.

True, she wasn’t qualified to be a Supreme Court justice – she hadn’t been able to demonstrate her use of constitutional law, she was never a judge and she “failed” a questionnaire sent to her by the Senate.

But qualifications haven’t been much of an issue in this administration as witnessed with FEMA’s chief and chief of staff, the head of the SEC, claims used to convince us of imminent dangers, the president himself. All costs thousands of American lives and billions of American tax dollars, so why all the fuss now?

The answer: “feti” (read: multiple fetuses).

The radical right – and I have no hard statistics – figures to be smaller than the mainstream right and left, yet it influences policy more so than any other segment of the population (except for those who can buy the time, literally – see “Ranger”- and “Pioneer”- level FUNdraisers).

Obviously, this group must have significant political pull and funding to be able to lead our president around on a leash and hit him on the nose with a newspaper when he dumps in the house (Miers’ nomination).

I don’t remember Karl Rove calling to assure me Miers was pro-life, but he did call Focus on the Family’s James Dobson – while the administration was saying the American public and the senate had no right to ask her that specific question.

So how we do we get rid of this disproportionately influential group of wealthy fundamentalists?

Simple, criminalize abortion.

Poof, away goes the anger that drives the movement conservatives. The only problem with this plan is that the GOP recognizes it as well.

Miers was appointed because nobody could know whether she was pro-choice or not – Democrats could not oppose her on those grounds because there was insufficient evidence to do so.

Republicans, movement conservatives, were expected to trust the president – they’ve never failed in that respect.

Personally, I think that Miers was pro-choice or on the fence with regards to the issue.

The GOP, wanting to keep its base angry and politically-motivated, doesn’t wish to lose its most divisive issue.

The one issue they can always point to when people start asking why the wealthy – using tax shelters and a weakened IRS – don’t pay their share in taxes but the poor and middle-class have to pick up their tab everytime.

So oppressed Christian evangelicals nationwide, don’t be suprised if this next nominee is another John Roberts – a qualified, pro-business mind with no public stance on abortion.

After all, that went swimmingly.

‘#160;

Send comments to Russ at [email protected]