Houses might be for sale

Two student co-operative living houses on the corner of Thurstin Avenue and Pike Street could soon become University property.

The future of the houses is in question as the University is now in negotiations with the United Christian Fellowship on Thurstin Avenue to purchase a portion of their property. The property is adjacent to the UCF main building at 313 Thurstin Ave., and includes the Web House and the neighboring Peace House.

The paint is peeling, but the bright green door and rainbow painted pillar on the porch are still a telling reminder that the Web House is different from your average college student housing. Both houses are part of a student co-operative living project coordinated by UCF.

The purpose of student co-ops is to build community and intentional living, said Lia Ricci-Sons, program coordinator at UCF.

In the past, students participating in the program have rented the space for a lower-than-average rent price. In return, they volunteer 10 hours per month and share in community-building projects, such as recycling or sharing a daily meal with roommates.

Now, these two buildings may soon become University property.

“We are already in a space sharing situation. The University has been extremely generous in their relationship with us,” said Deanne Snavely, UCF board of directors president.

Currently, the north side of the UCF main building is being rented by the University as office space.

The UCF will be using the money from the sale of the property for programming, Snavely said.

“We would like to continue our co-op living arrangements. We believe that the co-op living options are important,” she said.

The University has not actually bought the property yet, Ricci-Sons said.

“We are in negotiations with the University right now. There is not a threat to the houses at this time,” she said.

The long-term future of the student co-operative housing is not clear. The property the houses are a part of BGSU’s long term Master Plan for Development, according to Robert Waddle, assistant vice president in the department of capital planning.

The Master Plan for Development was completed in July 2004. According to the plan, the co-op housing is located on land adjacent to a space for a proposed parking garage. Waddle declined to comment on future plans for the land because the University is still in negotiations for the purchase.

“This is an opportunity now for us, while they are available. They fit into our direction,” he said.

The students living in the houses are not in any jeopardy of losing their homes.

“Certainly in terms of any leases we wouldn’t just take the property. A lease comes along with a property,” Waddle said.

Peace House resident Rachel Coats, junior, was unaware that the house may become University property.

“No one has said anything to me about it,” she said.

Coats is one of three girls who live in the Peace House. They are working with UCF on developing the co-op.

“Right now we are just trying to rebuild everything and make it more co-operative. These houses really have a lot of history,” said Peace House resident Emily Johnson, junior.

Johnson pointed out the first-floor bathroom at the Peace House that is covered from floor to ceiling with quotes and writing.

“This used to be a hard-core hippie house. There is all of this political stuff, like Gloria Steinem quotes,” she said. “I still find new stuff in here, even after living here two years.”

Johnson said she would be saddened to see the University replace the co-op houses to build a parking garage mostly because of the history they represent.

One of the goals set forth in the Master Plan is to “locate parking garages and major surface parking lots along campus edges to simplify access and provide more entry/exit options.”

The Thurstin Avenue and Pike Street corner is indicated as an area where a parking garage would fulfill that goal, Waddle said.

“We see Pike Street becoming a true access way,” he said.

According to Waddle, the part of Thurstin Avenue by the intersection of Wooster Street is what the University considers the academic core of the campus and that one of their main goals is to “protect the front door of the University.”