Regular season champs

For teams that are supposed to be bitter rivals, the BGSU and Toledo soccer teams can’t seem to get enough of each other lately. The Falcon’s 3-2 win over the Rockets at Toledo on Friday clinched the Mid-American Conference regular season championship for BG and gives the squad the number one seed in the post-season MAC tournament.

Friday’s results also make Toledo the eight seeded team in tournament which means they will play BG tomorrow in the tournament quarterfinals.

With the MAC regular season title secured, the squad still has a challenging post-season to get through to win their second consecutive MAC tournament title.

If Friday’s match is any indication, Toledo will put up a strong fight to get to the semifinal round.

“[Friday’s match] was everything we expected it to be,” BG coach Andy Richards said. “It was very tight and very competitive. They put us under tremendous pressure. It was a tremendous battle, but we were determined to get our first regular season MAC championship.”

Samantha Meister opened scoring in the match with her goal from 18 yards out at 32:37. Corbie Yee and Britt Anderson picked up the assists.

Four minutes later, the Falcon offense was able to convert again. Molly Bremen scored off a Lindsey Carter corner kick to put the team up by two. Ten minutes later, the Rockets answered back with a goal from Kelly Langenbeck. Pene Hughes assisted.

At halftime, both teams regrouped and Toledo came out ready to come back for a win. However, it would be the Falcons who would score the first goal of the stanza. It was Meister who again found net, putting away a ball from Julie Trundle at 52:08.

The Roockets wasted no time, responding :33 later with another goal from Langenbeck and putting the Rockets in position for a comeback.

“[Toledo] scored very early in the second half and caused a lot of problems,” Richards said. “They were very determined to ruin our day and they nearly did.”

Despite some excellent opportunities for the Rockets, keeper Ali Shingler was solid in goal with four saves in the match and BG was able to hold on for the win.

Richards said overcoming the pressure of playing a must-win game on the home field of a major rival was one of the day’s toughest obstacles.

“That is an awful lot of pressure to go to someone else’s field and try to win a MAC championship. You have to give tremendous credit to the girls. They maintained their composure,” he said.

After a tumultuous first half of the season was spent teeter-tottering between wins and losses, the Falcons were able to focus on consistency and end their regular season with eight straight wins.

“I think it speaks a lot to our consistency,” Richards said of the championship. “It was frustrating early in the season. We had a lot of split weekends. We talked a lot about consistency. To win a MAC championship is a tremendous achievement.”

Now the squad is back in a similar situation, where consistent play is more vital than ever.

“If we wanted to win the MAC championship, our last three or four games were a must-win,” Richards said. “If we want to win the tournament, it’s the same situation. Every game is must win.”

The squad has shown much improvement since tournament time last season, when they were the eighth seed. Now a first seed, they must focus on the mental aspect of the game.

“A lot of it is mental,” said Richards. “When we were the eighth seed, we had nothing to lose. Now that were the first seed, everyone is trying to knock us off.”

Playing back-to-back games against rival Toledo will be no picnic, but Richards said Friday’s match helped BG further scout the Rockets.

“We’ve had a great look at the. Unless the team drastically changes, we know what to expect. We get to play on our home field, but other than that, the season kind of starts over again.”

Tomorrow’s match will kickoff at Cochrane Field at 1 p.m.

‘#160;