Society too touchy about Christmas

Merry Christmas!

I am willing to bet this is a salutation you haven’t heard often this holiday season.

So, in case you have forgotten, “merry Christmas” is the greeting that has been outlawed in favor of the less-offensive “happy holidays.”

You read correctly.

Political correctness has hijacked Jesus’ birthday.

As you have wandered around awash in Christmas euphoria – oops, I’m sorry, holiday euphoria – have you noticed the conspicuous absence and impending demise of Christmas in our country?

This entire debacle began with a 1983 Supreme Court ruling, Lynch vs. Donnelly, which has set the precedent for one of America’s worst traditions – challenging Christmas.

While the creative license granted by allowing us to make our own interpretation of “happy holidays” may make some people happy, I find it confusing.

Since “happy holidays” was obviously invented to remove what some people consider to be the offensiveness of Christmas from our typical holiday greetings, what are we celebrating?

Like a majority of Americans, I celebrate Christmas. We should be offended at this attempt to “disenfranchise” the Christmas people out there.

What if I decided to be offended by a window splash on campus inviting the student population to celebrate Ramadan or Kwanzaa, citing the overt public religiousness of the display? Do you think I would ever hear the end of my attempt to censor a religious population?

The greeter at Wal-Mart, always underestimated, now has a proud role in the destruction of Christmas. “Happy holidays!” they joyously shriek at you.

It is things like being told to have a “happy holidays,” and other such meaningless gestures that put me in a lousy, bah-humbug frame of mind.

I don’t celebrate “holidays.” I celebrate Christmas!

I don’t care if a grinch is offended by an off-handed “merry Christmas” because they celebrate, as Glenn Beck would say, “Ramahanukwanzmas.”

Your hatred of Christmas doesn’t matter, because a far greater number of people celebrate Christmas than don’t – even some secularists kind of enjoy the secular aspects of Christmas, like Santa Claus.

Yet in some circumstances, wearing a piece of apparel that may contain an angel, Christmas tree or anything that could be linked to Christmas or Christianity may find you in court.

We have officially gone holiday-generic and a-religious.

Eighty-four percent of the practicing religious population is made up of Christians who celebrate Christmas. Denying them this right would make Ulysses S. Grant turn in his grave.

After all, he was the president who, in 1870, declared Christmas a legal holiday.

It has become sport to point out nativity scenes, children singing “Silent Night” in school holiday recitals and other displays of this festive season – and cite them as exploitation by the religious right.

But when you “ban” those who celebrate Christmas from doing so publicly, you are robbing them of the supposed freedoms you were attempting to protect the “non-represented” from in the first place.

Every time a “movement” like this comes along, it is under the guise of making our society more open and comfortable for everyone. But it does the opposite.

But the sad thing is, this whole issue is not even about religion. It is about morality. The liberal culture has made a concerted effort destroy the most important fiber of our country’s makeup – our traditions. Chiefly involved in this destruction: the ACLU and the secular left.

Communists realized early on that the way to get to the population was to destroy their morality by taking away religion and tradition. People stripped of morality are easiest to brainwash.

My fear is that if I make that unconscionable slip, saying, “Christmas tree” instead of “holiday tree,” the mechanical hound from the novel Fahrenheit 451 (you all remember his savagery) will attack me for my politically incorrect slip.

So, at the risk of offending all of the Scrooge-like secularists out there – Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

‘#160;

Send comments to Danielle at [email protected]

‘#160;