November 30, 2023

• Repairing the Family
    By Jay Grummel Earlier this month I wrote about fond families, however the holidays are made up of many different types of families. Some will be hostile and dysfunctional or some will be loving and understanding. Whatever your family looks like this season, it’s always nice to read about ones other than your own. So, […]
  • Review of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    Let’s time-travel to the year 2012 and the world is raving about none other than Katniss Everdeen. I remember being in elementary school, begging my mother to let me dress up as her for my birthday. Now it’s over ten years later and I’m still just as excited for the new movie as I was […]

Xbox 360 nice but too pricey

As you read this very newspaper, there are hundreds of Xbox 360 video game consoles being sold on eBay for thousands of dollars.

After spending several hours with the console and a few of its games, I can understand why people are so keyed up for a 360 – but it’s certainly not worth a few thousand bucks.

The $300 to $400 the system retails for might be pushing it, even.

While there are improvements across the board on the 360 over the original Xbox – including a better laid-out controller, more content on Xbox Live and prettier graphics – there are no drastic leaps in the console’s abilities.

The controller is very similar to the Xbox’s S-Controller, but with smoother curves, a huge button in the center that calls up the 360’s “dashboard” – more on that in a minute – and a pair of shoulder buttons above the triggers.

The shoulder buttons replace are a little confusing to use because they’re referred to as “LB” and “RB” while the triggers are called “LT” and “RT.” Perhaps it takes some getting used to, but the buttons’ similar names mixed me up more than once.

The Xbox’s operating system, called the “dashboard,” is always accessible from within games by pressing the aforementioned large button on the controller. It gives access to system options, content on the hard drive (if one is in the system) and Xbox Live.

I like it – it’s convenient, easy to use and gives a comforting feeling that the Xbox’s OS is never far away.

Xbox Live’s options for downloading game demos a buying little extras like new dashboard themes are very nice, but I’m not sure how much people will use them.

Microsoft recently released a “Christmas costume” download for their adventure game “Kameo,” which will test the waters for consumer feelings on buying preplanned extras for games.

The graphics in 360 games are better than those in games for current-generation consoles, but it’s barely noticeable on a regular television – an HD set is needed to really be surprised by the 360’s power.

Too bad HDTVs are still expensive and fairly few in number in American households.

Yes, the 360 is a fun, powerful system with a lot of potential. It just doesn’t excite me enough to buy one before a year passes and the price drops.