Union to host Learning Fair

Students who are having problems in certain classes or can’t seem to manage time well, there is a place for you Thursday, Oct. 3 in the Student Union.

The Learning Fair, which has been going on for four years now, is open to the entire campus and will contain 17 different sessions from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The sessions will be held three at a time in 30 minute intervals. Students are more than welcome to attend as many sessions as they would like.

The sessions include Time Management, , How to Succeed in Chemistry, Taking Essay Exams, Taking Multiple-choice Tests, Handling Study and Test Anxiety, Improving Your Memory, Motivation, Procrastination, Study Survival Techniques and Making the Most of Your Learning Style. The fair also offers specialized sessions on How to Succeed in Biology, How to Succeed in Sociology, How to Succeed in Accounting, Winning in Math, Using Technology to Streamline Learning, How to Prepare Presentations and Succeeding in Economics.

All the events are free and students don’t have to sign up to participate.

“The sessions help to reduce stress over doing well in courses,” Joyce Blinn said, assistant director of academic enhancement/study skills lab .

Blinn has been with the program since its beginning and she believes that it does help raise students’ grades. Each session is run by faculty or staff members who volunteer their time to help out students.

The sessions are in no particular order. They are run in accordance to the presenter’s free time.

Dr. Robert Midden, associate professor of chemistry, is conducting the “How to Succeed in Chemistry” session. Midden has also been with the program since its beginning. Blinn was aware of his interest in conducting a session, so she had invited him to join.

“Students are always motivated,” Midden said. “I give students key issues, sort of set the stage for the students.”

Midden tries to tailor what he will talk about to the students who attend.

“I find out what gives them the greatest challenge,” Midden said.

Midden’s session will be held at 3:30.

The Distinguished Teaching Professor of Biological Sciences, Dr. Lee Meserve, is also going to be at the fair conducting his session “How to Succeed in Biology.” He also has been with the program since its first year. In his years with the program, he noticed that the turn out of students vary. One year he had four students, when the next he had 15.

“I start off with a few suggestions for the students. This is my 30th year at the University, so I have some suggestions,” Meserve said.

Meserve’s session will be held at 1:30.

Most of the sessions are dealt in the same way, the presenters will bring the basics at hand and then the students will take it from there. Not all students are going to have the same issues, but students should feel comfortable enough to explain them.

“The Learning Fair deals with all aspects of learning,” Blinn said.

No matter where the student’s are in their courses, the sessions at the fair can help them, she said.

Sessions will be held in rooms 314, 315 and 316 in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union Thursday Oct. 3 from 10:30a.m.-4:30p.m.