Golfers travel to Kentucky

The menís golf team is back in action this weekend for their third tournament of the season. Coming off a seventh-place finish at Ball State, the Falcons will undoubtedly be looking to bounce back this weekend.

The Falcons are traveling to Richmond, Kentucky to take part in the Eastern Kentucky University Colonial Classic. The 54-hole tournament, which begins today, will consist of two rounds today and the final round tomorrow. The Falcons didnít compete in EKUís tournament last year and will have their hands full this year with teams such as Cincinnati, Depaul and Dayton, among the nineteen teams participating in this weekendís tournament. This weekend will mark the first time in three seasons that the Falcons have traveled to EKU, to take part in the tournament.

The Falcons are hopeful that this weekend will get the ball rolling for their team this season. With said disappointing seventh-place finish last week in the Earl Yestingmeister Classic, the Falcons hope to card good scores and place high on the leader board this weekend.

Sophomore Austin Chase, who led the Falcons last weekend with a 23rd-place finish, has high hopes this weekend and is very optimistic for the tournament.

ìWe should do pretty well,î Chase said. ìThe freshmen got a taste of the bad weather in last weekendís tournament, and I think now they will be ready for the conditions that normally come along with playing college golf.î

The Falcons have a great chance to run into inclement weather in this weekendís tournament. Heavy thunderstorms are expected on Friday and will be a burden to all teams competing in the tournament, but with last weekís experience of bad weather for the freshmen, the team may have a slight advantage over the rest of the field.

The team hopes to continue its positive production from its young players as well as the few veteran players. Senior Andy Miller will be looked up to this weekend because he is the only current Falcon who has played in the EKU tournament. Miller will undoubtedly want to improve his score from his sophomore year, which tied him for 79th in the tournament.

The continuation of good play from the younger members of the team is needed for the Falcons to have any success this season. Players such as Craig Pickerel, Chase and freshman Chris Leake will have to play to their best, despite the weather, in this weekendís tournament.

ìWe all need to play consistently, but what we really need is for somebody to shoot a low round. If we can get those two things we will be successful,î Chase said.