President of Vision sets goals for life

In today’s society it’s not rare to be considered queer. Sometimes the classification speaks ahead of the definition, but at the University, the percentage of gays, lesbians, and queers is about equal as the population of business majors.

Vision’s President, Jason Justice said, “My goal as president is to ensure that the dialogue between the University community and the queer community continues to happen, Justice said. “This is absolutely critical in the advancement and development of resources for the queer community of BGSU and the BGSU community at large as we further fight to create an Environment of non-discrimination.”

Vision is not just a gay and lesbian organization, it’s an organization for everyone to be a part of.

“The biggest misconception is that we are all queer and that being gay is a prerequisite for being a part of the organization. However, a large percentage of our organization’s membership is straight supporters,” Justice said.

With the definitions being set aside, Visions is just like any group on campus; they have a voice and want to be heard, Justice said.

“I love being a part of this organization because of all the positive change we help to bring about on this campus for all students,” Justice said. “Whether that be providing educational opportunities through our organized programs or creating a safe, supportive, and inclusive environment for queer-identified students, Vision is an essential part of the growth and development of this campus.”

With this weekend being one of the biggest in Vision’s calendar, there are many things things going on.

“Typically when we see an event publicized which are exclusive of same-sex couples, for example discounted rates for “couples,” we usually confront the party hosting the event and request that it is inclusive of and recognize same-sex couples because that is simply what we are about…inclusion of everyone,” Justice said. “However, sometimes folks do not feel comfortable confronting the issues, so we can’t expect them to put themselves out there more than they are willing.”

Justice has been a vocal “queer” since his senior year of high school over three years ago.

“I came out when I was 18 during my senior year in high school,” he said. “This organization has made me who I am. Our organization is the second largest of almost 300-student organizations on campus. We currently have an active membership of about 100 people.”

Even though it may be tough for some people to understand the workings of a mostly gay organization, the members have as much fun as they can working together and trying to make a difference, Justice said. Not everything can be a day at the park. “While the University has made tremendous strides in confronting discrimination based on sexual orientation through their continued growth and development of queer supported services, there is still much work which must be done,” Justice said. ” … If you hear someone use the word “gay,” in a derogatory sense, call them out on it, if you hear a student make a homophobic remark, ask them what the meaning of that is, if a University policy excludes queer individuals, change it.”