Motivation; the first step to success

Visions of Spring Break are probably beginning to appear, as should the results of getting in shape. Even though it is not tough to make goals to improve your lifestyle, keeping goals can be challenging. Staying motivated is the factor that distinguishes a person in shape from a person out of shape. Unclear goals and lack of motivation can cause a person to return to their old and unhealthy habits. However, a little motivation can transform healthy goals into new habits.

The college atmosphere makes it especially hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Hours upon hours of studying, a limited food selection, eating late-night snacks, plenty of beer drinking, and partying three nights or more out of the week leaves little time for students to improve their lifestyle. It is simple to get lost in the patterns of college life, But, your life depends on adopting healthy habits now. There are many things you can do to keep yourself motivated which will ultimately help you reach your goals.

Your goals to get in shape should be measurable and reasonable. Make goals that are not hard for you to keep so you do not set yourself up for disappointment. Another key is to start with small short-term goals. Reaching one goal at a time will motivate you to set new goals and to eventually build to a long-term goal.

Also be specific on exactly what your goal is. Getting in shape is not a specific goal. However, running for 30 minutes, 3 times a week is. Start slow and increase your goal as time progresses.

Another important aspect of keeping yourself motivated is to reward yourself often. Think of the one thing you love the most and decide to reward yourself with it after you have reached one of your goals. If you love chocolate, than be sure to include chocolate as a part of your reward. You will be surprised how hard you will be willing to work for a piece of savory chocolate. If you deprive yourself of your favorite things, then you are more likely to return to your old habits.

To stick to a good fitness plan, you also need to incorporate fun and variety. Make each exercise session a social event. It is more likely that you will show up regularly if someone is counting on you. Also encourage your friends and family to make some of the same changes you have made. To prevent boredom, add a variety of different exercises to spice up your workouts. Lastly don’t forget to turn on your favorite tunes. It’s more fun to listen to music than to hard exhaling and it will make time go by faster.

A low-energy level may discourage you from working out routinely and may seem out of your control. However, you can ensure a good energy level by eating small amounts of nutritious food frequently. This keeps your blood sugar level constant and your energy level up. Include foods with high protein and high fiber like nuts and fruits. Try giving yourself a boost with whole grain products and essentially more fruits and vegetables. Avoid processed and fried foods to prevent feeling sluggish after eating. The most important motivation factors to keep in mind are the results of a healthy lifestyle. Results alone are an excellent source of motivation. Effective, consistent exercise improves overall appearance, energy level, social interactions as well as confidence, self-esteem, and relief from stress. Too good to be true, TRY IT!

Give yourself time for progress and results. Remember that the more effort and time you put into your goals, the better results you will see. This piece of advice holds true to everything in life. If spending a week at your ideal destination in the hot sun over Spring Break is not enough to motivate you to get in shape, KNOW that a healthy lifestyle is the best gift you can give to yourself.