The power of the spoken word

An experiment was conducted a few years ago on the implication of spoken words to people. One hundred students in a class were made to take a written test and the individual result of the test was not made known to the students. The class was then divided into two sets of 50 students each: the genius class and the mediocre class. The genius class was told that they had the highest I.Q and was the most brilliant and brightest set of students to have ever lived in the world. The class was told, that without even teaching them, they had the brain capacity to teach themselves, as creativity was their birthright.

Students in the mediocre class were told that their I.Q was very low, that they were very lazy and dull. At the end of a new academic session, another test was conducted for both classes. The genius class did ten times better than the mediocre class.

The actual fact is that the students in the genius class scored the lowest set of scores in the undisclosed result of the initial test, while the mediocre class had the highest set of scores in the initial test. The experiment proved that, the students in the genius class believed the words of their teachers, that they were the most brilliant and brightest set of students in the world, hence performed to meet up with the expectations. While the mediocre class (which was in fact the brilliant set of students) took the words of their teachers for reality that they had very low I.Q, hence performed badly in the second test. This experiment shows the importance of the use of our positive or negative words to our friends, partners, students and workers.

Your words are very powerful. A great man once said, two things shape a persons future; first is spoken words about oneself and second is thinking about oneself (self-image).

Whatever you are told as a person and you believe it, you will manifest it. One trait of successful people is the ability to always use positive words at the slightest opportunity. Many often talk themselves to failure; they say “I don’t know why I’m always acting foolishly?” “I’m broke,” “I suck,” “I’m doomed” and so on. Very soon whether you meant those words or not, you will ultimately manifest what you have said about yourself. It’s no magic, it is a simple principle of reaping what you have sowed into your own life. While listening to Robert Kiyolsaki (Author of Best Selling Book, “Rich Dad Poor Dad”) last year in Atlanta, he said many talk themselves into poverty by saying, “I cannot afford it;” and as long as you make this kind of negative confessions, you may never achieve prosperity.

Cultivate the language of champions and achievers in life, who more often than not use words such as, “I can,” “I believe,” “It’s possible,” “Thank You” and other positive words.

Your words reflect what you believe about your future. Mark Twain said, “The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightening and the lightening bug.” Always talk happiness, progress, prosperity, good health, peace and success.

William Ward said, “Flatter me and I may not believe you, criticize me and I may not like you, ignore me and I may not forgive you, but encourage me and I will not forget you.” When a person feels encouraged, he/she can face the impossible and overcome incredible adversity and the person who gives the gift of encouragement becomes an influencer in his/her life.

It does not often come as a surprise that Home matches are mostly won by the hosting teams. Occasionally, when I go to the stadium to watch the Falcons home matches, I cannot help but join the mammoth crowd in encouraging those lads to attain victory by shouting the slogan “BeeGee! BeeGee! BeeGee!” The current national football champion, The Ohio State Buckeyes, had about 70 percentage of the crowd in the stadium routing for it against the Miami team earlier this month, and the power of the crowds’ encouraging words no doubt gave victory to the Buckeyes.

It applies to sports teams, business organizations, personal and professional life. If you encourage or speak positive words to anyone, you can make that person achieve the unimaginable.

View your life as an empty glass of water, you can either choose to fill it with positive words about yourself or fill it with negative words, the choice is absolutely yours. Always remember that, you are the master of your fate, the architect of your future