Classes differ from usual form

Summer school has always had a bad image. However, for students looking to get ahead or take a class that is difficult to enroll in, summer courses may be the answer. About 7,200 students are enrolled in classes at the University, including the Firelands campus, for the summer.

Summer term at the University started last week, but it is not too late to enroll in the other two summer sessions. Summer term consists of three separate sessions, beginning with a six-week session through June 25. An eight-week session begins on June 14 and the final six-week session begins on June 28, both end on August 6.

Not all courses offered during spring and fall semesters are available over the summer. According to Bill Balzer, Associate Vice President and Dean of Summer Session, courses are chosen on the basis of need by students, faculty availability, previous summer enrollment trends and whether the course content can be condensed to the summer format. The courses are chosen by a “summer” dean in each college.

A regular semester at the University lasts 16 weeks. Most three-hour courses will meet four days a week to deal with the workload. All classes are required to have the same number of contact hours regardless of whether it is fall, spring or summer semester. Class sizes are generally smaller in summer sessions, allowing more one-one interaction between students and teachers.

Students should consider many factors before deciding whether to take summer classes or how many hours to take. Balzer recommends meeting with your adviser. He also stresses looking at the course itself: does it require a lot of reading, out-of-class projects, etc. A prospective summer student should look at their other responsibilities, such as a job, to determine what schedule works best.

Another benefit of summer classes over regular classes would be cost. Summer classes for undergraduate Ohio residents are about $25 cheaper per credit hour. Also, there are a number of monetary incentives for enrolling in summer programs. The Office of Continuing Education is offering a $200 on-campus housing grant for those taking summer classes. Seniors graduating at the end of this summer session may also be eligible for a $300 check. Freshman and sophomores who pass two summer classes can apply for a $100 University Bookstore gift card good for the fall semester of 2004.

Students who return home for the summer have the option of enrolling in online courses. The University offers a wide variety of classes taught over the Internet, which allow students to get a similar learning experience without commuting to class every day.

Summer classes are also a way to keep busy for year round student residents of Bowling Green.

“What else am I going to do in the summer–sleep?” University student Vince Amicarelli said.

Having a couple high-paced classes and a part-time job should be enough to keep students busy during the summer months.