The Ethos quartet to perform at Kobacker Hall

Few things move the human soul — or the human foot, for that matter — like a good beat from a strong percussive sound. It is this basic impulse that the Ethos Percussion Group will capitalize on when they come to BGSU this December.

They are apart of the Moore Musical Arts Center’s Festival Series, which brings talented and famous musicians from all over the world to perform at the University.

Deborah L. Fleitz, Director of Public Events for the College of Musical Arts, coordinates all performances and guest artist series for the Moore Musical Arts Center.

“I’ve heard wonderful things about them,” Fleitz said. In the eight years she has been at the University, the Series has not had a percussion-only group, she said.

“Stomp has been really big the last few years,” Fleitz said. “Percussion is really contemporary right now.”

Not only is their genre of music contemporarily popular, Ethos’ style is as well. The quartet, made up of Trey Files, Michael Sgouros, Yousif Sheronick and Eric Phinney, have premiered works written by present-day artists for audiences over the last decade.

“That’s pretty important, to support the music of living composers,” Fleitz said.

Ethos’ strength does not lie only in the pieces it plays but in its own skill as well.

Dr. Roger Schupp, assistant professor of percussion, gave a nod to Ethos’ talent.

“They’re a great group,” Schupp said. “They were at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention.”

“Any group that gets on that is really at the top of their field,” Schupp said.

Ethos performs traditional compositions from Central America, West Africa and Asia in addition to introducing new works by present-day composers.

“They don’t just stand on the same repertoire that we’ve stood on for the last 50 years,” Schupp said, “they’re big on getting the new stuff.”

Ethos will perform at the Moore Musical Arts Centers’ Kobacker Hall on Friday, Dec. 3 at 8 p.m. Students who do not have pre-ordered tickets can purchase them at Moore’s box office on the day of the event for $10.

Before their Friday performance, Ethos will hold a percussion group drum circle on Thursday, Dec. 2. It will be in the Union at 8 p.m. in room 308 and will be free to the public.