Students haunt houses

Halloween is defined by traditions. From carving candle lit pumpkins to watching “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” on television to dressing up and begging for candy. There are a variety of customs tied to Oct. 31.

Haunted houses are one of those customs.

But why go to a haunted house? Why pay money to be scared?

Laurie Haas, head of operations at the local haunted attraction, The Westwood Dark Attraction, thought it was for the thrill. “We all like to experience a little bit of fear every once in a while,” she said.

The Westwood is located in an abandoned schoolhouse just south of Bowling Green. This haunted house is unique because the customers follow a story line as they walk through it, according to Haas.

Uniqueness is not a critical selling point to some haunted house patrons.

Andrea Crossman, freshman, hit as many of the attractions as she and her friends could last year.

“We really didn’t think any of them were that scary,” Crossman said. “It’s just something to do. It was better than sitting at home watching TV.”

Kevin Bloom, sitting at a table in the Union with friends, Crossman and Ron Lauman, recounted their haunted house experiences.

Bloom went with friends last year to The House in Toledo. “It sounded like fun,” he said. “There were some way cool costumes,” Bloom said. “They kind of freak you out.”

Lauman works for Scarewood Forest, another haunted house in Toledo. “People like to get scared and have fun,” he said.

“We get lots of groups that come through every year or every couple weeks,” Lauman said.

Bloom is one person who make the attractions a regular haunt. “It’s kind of a once-a-year thing,” he said.

Crossman agreed. “It’s a seasonal thing.”

Haunted houses are not a tradition for everyone, however. Amy Odoguardi, senior, last went to a haunted house in eighth grade.

“I didn’t really like people jumping out at me,” she said. Odoguardi felt her experience was scary “to an extent” but not a great one.

Thomas Rees, senior, once had a rough time in a haunted house, as well.

An actor jumped toward Rees and his friends as they walked through. The actor “grabbed my buddy’s girlfriend” recounted Rees. Her boyfriend then punched the actor, getting Rees’ group thrown out of the haunted house.

Ken Kraemer, senior, was merely unimpressed when he went to a haunted house in Cleveland.

“Haunted houses are pointless because they’re not scary,” Kraemer said. “I don’t think I’ve ever gone to a good one.”

A haunted house managed to scare Laura Ahlfeld, senior. “I was scared,” she said. “My friends really weren’t, but I was.”

Bob Turner, spokesperson for the Haunted Hydro in Fremont said people go to haunted houses because they are live entertainment. “It’s something people can touch, see and smell,” he said.

“The majority of people go through this with a spouse, friend or group,” Turner said.

Turner sees girlfriends and boyfriends visit the Haunted Hydro who later return as a married couple. “We now have families bringing their families,” Turner said. “It’s very rewarding.”