Bowling Green fireworks previewed

Everybody loves fireworks on the Fourth of July. However, they can be dangerous. Bowling Green residents need not worry; they can leave it to the professionals.

The Bowling Green Chamber of Commerce will present their annual fireworks show on Independence Day at dusk, or about 9:45 p.m.

The main viewing area will be at the intramural fields on campus. Elaine Skoog, Executive Director of the Chamber of Commerce, is looking forward to the event.

“It draws a huge crowd,” said Skoog.

People come not just from Bowling Green, but also the surrounding areas to view the fireworks. Skoog said she estimates at least a couple thousand people to view this year’s fireworks.

The show will last approximately 20 minutes, and will be consistent instead of sporadic like other fireworks shows.

Melrose Pyrotechnics will put on the show. Wynn Cramer of Melrose says the show will feature many different kinds of fireworks, such as smiley faces, hearts,the planet Saturn and many other patterns.

Cramer expects to shoot off over 800 shells ranging in diameter from 2.5 to eight inches.

“It’s a good sized show,” Cramer said.

Spectators are asked to bring their own snacks or drinks to the show. It is recommended to show up an hour in advance to get a good spot and to meet up with friends. No alcoholic beverages or home fireworks/firecrackers will be permitted.

According to Skoog, people can expect the same level of intensity as in past years shows.

“I think the people will be pleased with [the show],” Skoog said.

She also points out that the planning and presenting of the fireworks is no easy task.

“It takes a lot of people from the community to make it work,” Skoog said.

There will also be an open skate at the Ice Arena before the show from 7-9 pm, with a $2 admission price.