BGSU to host MLK keynote speaker

Falcon Media Staff

Bowen Thompson Student Union at Bowling Green State University.

Taylor McFarland, Reporter

Dr. Eddie Glaude Jr., a prominent American scholar, will speak at BGSU’s Beyond the Dream MLK Keynote event this Wednesday. 

The keynote event will take place on Jan. 18 at 7 p.m. at the Bowen-Thompson Student Union in the Lenhart Grand Ballroom. Though it is a free event, attendees are encouraged to register to attend either in person with limited seating or by video streaming. Registration will close on the day of the event.

This event comes as part of The Beyond the Dream series which highlights different cultures across Bowling Green’s campus through multiple conferences, musicians and guest speakers. 

Glaude is an educator, author, political commentator and public intellectual who assesses the intricate dynamics of the American experience. Glaude is the James McDonnell distinguished university professor and the Chair of the Department of African American Studies at Princeton University.

His various writings, “Democracy in Black: How Race Still Enslaves the American Soul” and “In a Shade of Blue: Pragmatism and the Politics of Black America,” take an immense look at Black communities and the difficulties of race in the United States along with the challenges we experience as a democracy. 

He frequently appears in the media as a columnist for TIME Magazine and as an MSNBC contributor on programs like “Morning Joe” and “Deadline: White House” with Nicolle Wallace. Dr. Glaude said he believes in confronting history and bringing our nation’s complexities, vulnerabilities and hope into full view.