Office of Residence Life hosts Taste of February

Taylor McFarland, BG24 Executive Producer

The Office of Residence Life’s Annual Taste of February event will take place Wednesday, Feb. 15 from 7:30-9 p.m. Wednesday night in the BTSU Lenhart Grand Ballroom. 

There will be food, performances, awards and other activities. There will also be a chance to win prizes through an interactive trivia segment.

According to the BGSU event page, Taste of February is a celebratory event to commemorate Black History Month and highlight positive impacts and accomplishments made by and for communities of color. The event celebrates students of color at BGSU.

It is also an event to celebrate all the students and campus organizations at BGSU that are committed to diversity and inclusion.

This year’s theme is unspoken heroes in which attendees will commemorate Black History Month through many stories about notable Black figures.

“A lot of times when people think of the civil rights movement or the Black community, they think of Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, which those are all very prominent and important people, but they are the face of those movements,” James Kearney, Coordinator for Diversity Initiatives in the Office of Residence Life, said.

Kearney said that the people who are not in the forefront or get the praise “like they should” are being highlighted during the event. The Taste of February is meant to highlight the achievements of the people next to the leaders of change. 

During the event, awards are going to be given out to students, both undergraduate and graduate, and campus organizations that work to support and uplift historically minoritized communities.

This year’s awards include Organization of the Year, Ace of Academics, Campus Unity, SMART Boss of the Year, and Community Activist of the Year.