BGSU Gymnastics takes third place on the road

Emma Tucker, Sports Reporter, FMSN

The Falcons placed third in the George Washington Meet, scoring 193.925.

With 5 teams vying for first place, BGSU rival Western Michigan took the night with a 196.725 score.

The meet’s host, George Washington, took second place with a 196.450.

Following behind the Brown and Orange were Fisk and Ursinus, leaving the mats with fourth and fifth place.

Here’s how it happened.

After the first rotation and the Falcons’ performance on the beam, BGSU found themselves in second place.

Scoring high on the beam, Bowling Green logged a team score of 48.850.

Senior Taylor Jensen lead the Falcons in the event scored a 9.825.

Senior Dahlia Solorzano-Caruso and sophomore Emily Castiglia also made strides on the beam, both scoring a 9.775 to set or tie season highs in the event.

Moving into the floor exercise, the Falcons set a 47.925 in the books with sophomore Katrina Mendez Abolnik leading the way with a 9.825.

With this strong performance, Mendez Abolnik tied her career-high score in this event, with Jensen close behind scoring a 9.800.

Jumping into the third rotation, Mendez Abolnik also tied her PR score on the vault with a 9.875, leading in the event for BGSU and scoring second overall.

Following the momentum of the floor, Jensen scored right behind her with a 9.850.

Pushing towards a team record, the Falcons also managed to tie the highest score of the year in the event with a 48.925.

Going into the final event, the Falcons took to the bars to finish the meet.

Sophomore Lexi Bornhorn and freshman Megan Bingham set the pace and led for Bowling Green, each scoring a 9.825.

The Falcons logged an overall bars score of 48.225, leaving BGSU in third place.

Jensen, representing BGSU in the all-around, placed fourth overall with a 39.200.

Falling just short of her career-high all-around score of 39.350, Jensen is tied for the eighth-best score in program history in this event.

Next week, the Falcons return home to Anderson Arena for their final home meet of the season on Friday, March 3rd starting at 6 pm.

For more information about the team, visit the athletics webpage.