BGSU Softball complete Saturday split

Jaydon Romero, Sports Reporter, FMSN

Coach Candace Fenton-Bockbrader and Bowling Green continued the 2023 UE Softball Invitational II by splitting the day going 1-1 with a loss against the University of Evansville and a win over St. Thomas University.

Great pitching from both sides in game one against the Evansville Aces lead to a low-scoring affair, but the Aces shut out the Falcons 2-0.

Bowling Green outhit the Aces in the game 3-2. Getting hits from Reagan Williamson, Ally Bezjak, and Katie Hutter.

This game was won on one swing, as Aces’ Jenna Nink hit a two-run home run for a 2-0 lead in the second inning.

Falcon pitcher Hannah Davies got the loss after pitching 4.0 innings and only allowing two runs to score.

Sophomore Ellie Price entered the game in the fifth inning and worked two shuts innings to keep the Falcons in the game.

This loss puts the Falcons at 4-8 on the year.

Game two of the day for the Falcons was against St. Thomas University.

St. Thomas jumped on the board in the first inning, getting key hits and a bases-loaded walk for 2-0. 

The Falcons responded by putting a run on the board from Hutter who singled to score catcher Maycee Godbolt.

The game went back and forth, but in the third inning, three runs came across the plate for St. Thomas for a 5-1 lead.

Bowling Green trailed but continued to fight.

In the bottom of the third inning, the Falcons were able to muster up some hits to make it 5-3. 

St. Thomas got an insurance run after a triple hit by shortstop Brook Ellestad to grow the lead to 6-3.

Things changed for the Falcons as junior Sophie Weber came up to the plate in the bottom of the fourth inning.

When it seemed like all the momentum was on the Tommies’ side, Weber smacked a solo home run over the right-field wall.

Weber hit not only her first home run of the season but the first homerun for the Falcons so far this season.

Weber’s homerun swung the momentum of the game as Coach Fenton turned to sophomore Scarlet Anderson in the fifth inning replacing freshman Mackenzie Krafcik.

Anderson pitched four scoreless innings for the Falcons, only allowing one hit and striking out four.

In the bottom of the seventh inning, the Falcons found themselves trailing by two.  

When the time was right, the Falcons struck.

Utility Peyton Dolejs singled to center field, scoring Hutter and cutting the lead down to one.

Later on in the inning, Weber approached the plate again, this time singling up the middle and bringing home Dolejs to tie the game at seven.

In the bottom of the eighth inning, freshman Delaney Davis was a utility runner to start the inning at second base. Shortstop Hannah Hunt bunted for a hit to move Davis to third.

Coach Fenton turned to one of her best hitters to get the job done.

Catcher Reagan WIlliamson grabbed a bat and pinch hit for the Falcons.

Williamson singled to right field, bringing home Davis for the winning run to win the game for BGSU.

The Falcons will finish out the tournament on Sunday against the Evansville Aces.

For more information about the team, visit the athletics webpage.