BGSU Gymnastics log fifth best team score in program history

Emma Tucker, Sports Reporter, Falcon Media Sports Network

The Bowling Green gymnastics team fell to the Ball State Cardinals 196.375-196.000

This was Bowling Green’s highest-scoring meet since facing NIU in 2018 and their highest score of the season.

Setting new PRs across the board and tying program records, the night proved to be one of the Falcons’ strongest team performances of the season.

Starting the evening with the vault, sophomore Kathryn Weilbacher led the Falcons with a 9.850.

Falling short behind Ball State, she took fourth place in the event.

Freshman Madison Coburn also added a PR to the books, scoring a 9.725.

Moving onto the bars, Bowling Green scored 48.875 points.

Freshman Isabella Rivelli paved the way, scoring a 9.850. This was her second-highest career score in the event.

Hitting the halfway mark, the Orange and Brown had great performances on the beam.

The most notable was freshman Megan Bingham tying the program record in the event with a 9.950, also being the highest scorer on the beam for the night.

Joining Bingham on the scoresheet were Weilbacher and senior Taylor Jensen, both setting new or tying PRs in the event.

The Falcons had a team score of 49.175, their highest team beam score of the season.

Following the trend of the night, the Falcons also set their highest team floor score of the season with 49.075 points.

Weilbacher was Bowling Green’s highest scorer and tied for first place with Ball State’s Megan Teter.

She also tied her PR in the event while Coburn and senior Dahlia Solorzano-Caruso set PRs.

Weilbacher finished the meet on top of the podium for the all-around with a score of 39.425, setting another new PR.

Logging a 39.425, she now shares the third-highest all-around score for BGSU Gymnastics with Alyssa Nocella and Jovannah East.

After a productive night, Head Coach Kerri Turner reflected on her team’s accomplishments.

“I thought the team did a great job. I think we had a little adversity coming into this meet and they really stepped up and stuck together,” Turner remarked. “They took it one routine at a time, and we had some fun out there.”

Looking ahead, the Falcons head to Michigan State on Sunday, March 5th for a tri-meet versus the Spartans and LIU beginning at 1 pm.

For more information about the team, visit the athletics webpage.