BGSU Gymnastics place second at Michigan State tri-meet

Reese Lannon, Sports Reporter, Falcon Media Sports Network

The Bowling Green gymnastics team placed second in a tri-meet in East Lansing, Mich.

Michigan State placed first, with a team score of 198.225, while the Falcons placed second with a score of 196.200.

The orange and brown set a program team record, with an overall team score of 49.225 to highlight their weekend.

They also tied their season-best on the floor with a team score of 49.075.

Some standouts for BGSU included sophomore Katrina Mendez Abolnik, who scored a career-high 9.900 on vault.

That score also gave her a tie in seventh place for the program record in the venet, while placing in third place overall.

Senior Dahlia Solorzano-Caruso PR’d on the vault with a score of 9.825, while tying her season-best on the beam with a score of 9.775.

Freshman Madison Coburn also had a big showing on the vault, setting her own personal record with a score of 9.825.

Another falcon scoring a 9.825 was sophomore Emily Castilgia, who tied her own personal best on the beam with that score.

The Falcons as a team in other events included a finish of 48.850 on bars, a 49.050 score on the beam, and a 49.075 score on the floor.

The Falcons’ best all-around performance came by sophomore Kathryn Weilbacher, who scored a 39.275, which was tied for the second-best mark of her career.

The Falcon gymnasts will close out their regular-season slate next Sunday at 2:00 p.m. in Ypsilanti against the Eastern Michigan Eagles.

For more information about the team, visit the athletics webpage.