Bowling Green’s struggles at point of attack continue

Drake Harlett

In all four of Bowling Green’s losses, there are multiple common denominators-

Penalties and turnovers.  

But there’s an overlooked element that BG just can’t seem get right. 

They continue to lose up front.  

Not winning at the line of scrimmage was the major theme of head coach Scot Loeffler’s presser following the Falcons’ loss to Miami (OH).

“I didn’t think we played well on either side of the ball, the defense couldn’t get off the field and offensively we didn’t play well up front,” he said. “This game was won and lost up front.”  

Offensively, the line struggled again – they allowed Miami to bury Connor Bazelak in the backfield four times, tying the unit’s season high for sacks allowed from the Michigan game.  

In Bowling Green’s four losses, the quarterbacks have been sacked a combined 13 times.  

The run game couldn’t get going aside from Terion Stewart breaking off a handful of big runs after having to shed a tackle or being forced to change course, and holes just weren’t opening up.  

Both Bazelak and Camden Orth were consistently forced to step up in the pocket or throw on a rollout, forcing bad throws and an interception by Bazelak late in the game on Saturday.  

This combination of poor blocking, along with missing on multiple big plays, led the offense to score zero points just seven days after putting 38 on Georgia Tech.  

“The difference between this week and last week was we won up front,” Loeffler said. “We didn’t have our hands inside the whole day, holding left and right. They’re a good twist team, we didn’t handle the twist very well. When you don’t protect the passer, it’s going to be a long day.” 

But back to our original denominators, not only did the offensive line struggle in blocking, Bowling Green also was called for holding five times on Saturday, though only two of those calls were actually accepted by Miami.  

Along with the four sacks, both quarterbacks were hurried three times by Miami.  

Last week, Georgia Tech only got to the quarterback twice and Bowling Green got home three times. This week, the Falcons’ defensive line got there just once, and it was Darren Anders from his linebacker position.  

There was pressure on Miami’s Brett Gabbert for some of the game, but it was futile – the rushers overcommitted, and Gabbert kept stepping up in the pocket and taking off, something he didn’t get to do a lot of in Miami’s game against Kent State, where he got sacked four times.  

“Fact of the matter is, just like I said, you’ve got to win up front. We didn’t. Win up front, get off the field, and make the plays when the plays present themselves,” Loeffler said.  

This streak of inconsistency has to be nearing its end, and Loeffler, taking a page right out of the book of Bill Belichick, says the only way to turn it around is for everyone to do their job.  

Falcon fans have seen it, but the rollercoaster consistency continues to plague the team from being able to compete for a MAC title. If this does not change, hope may be lost of not only a title, but also a chance at a bowl game.