Falcon Four: Kent State Golden Flashes

kentstatesports.com

Week 11 takes Bowling Green out east to Dix Stadium for a matchup with Kent State (1-8, 0-5 MAC).

Here are Falcon Four Golden Flashes to keep your eye on.

1. Wide Receiver Crishon McCray (#22) – After not recording a single statistic in 2022, the sophomore wideout from Avon, Indiana has already shown this season that he’s one of the conference’s brightest young stars. McCray paces the MAC in receiving yards with 610, and his coming off of the best game of his career. Against Akron, he caught six passes for 161 yards and two touchdowns, his second time cracking the century mark, and his second two-score game of the season. He’ll look to continue his success against a stingy BG defense that ranks inside the top-20 in the country against the pass.

2. Running Back Gavin Garcia (#21) – Garcia is the workhorse tailback for Kent State, tallying 407 yards on 104 carries so far this season. One of many sophomores starting for this very young Kent team, Garcia was forced to step up following the departure of Marquez Cooper in the offseason.

3. Quarterbacks Michael Alaimo (#18)/Tommy Ulatowski (#14) – The Golden Flashes rotate out their quarterbacks similar to how Bowling Green does. One QB is the more prolific passer (Bazelak/Alaimo) and the other is more mobile (Orth/Ulatowski). Alaimo, a transfer from Purdue, is having a rough first season in the MAC. He has yet to eclipse 200 yards in a single game and has thrown twice as many interceptions as he has touchdowns (four interceptions, two passing touchdowns). Ulatowski, on the other hand, is having a much better campaign, especially through the air. He started his first game this season last week against Akron, and showed out despite taking the L. He completed 15 of his 23 pass attempts for 229 yards, three touchdowns, and no interceptions. He also added a score on the ground. He’s thrown six touchdowns to just one interception, showing he may be the better option for Kent under center.

4. Safety Bryce Sheppert (#27) – Sheppert is Kent’s leading tackler this season with 54, ranking him 22nd in the conference. The sophomore from Stow, Ohio has tripled his total tackles from last season in his first real game time. He recorded 11 tackles two weeks ago against Buffalo, and his six passes defended tie him for eighth in the MAC.

Kickoff from Kent is slated for 7 p.m.