Student entrepreneurs kick off the holiday shopping season

Faith Zochowski
Jewelry-makers, photographers, crocheters and more filled the atrium of the Maurer Center on Thursday to promote their small businesses and sell their products at the Holiday Fair.

Jewelry-makers, photographers, crocheters and more filled the atrium of the Maurer Center  to promote their small businesses and sell their products at the Holiday Fair; an event organizers say they hope to continue for many years.

Organized by the BGSU Collegiate Entrepreneurial Society, the first annual Holiday Fair welcomed 24 student entrepreneurs and small business owners. Tables were set up and handmade items were sold all afternoon from 12:30-6 p.m.

Kurstyn Loeffler, director of the Paul J. Hooker Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership, said it is “so exciting to see” the idea brought to life.

“Students talk all the time about their side hustles or trying to make some additional money, and we want to be able to support the entrepreneurial community here at BGSU,” Loeffler said.

Similar events have been held in the past, such as the Students of Color and Business small business sale last spring. Loeffler said this is the first sale held during this time of year in an effort to get students in the holiday spirit.

Among the small-business owners was senior Isabella Galindo, who sells crocheted hats, scarves and keychains.

Galindo, owner of Izzy’s Workshop, was taught how to crochet by her aunt when she was 8 years old.

“It was just something for me to keep my hands busy, and I’ve just been doing it ever since,” Galindo said.

Galindo has gifted her crocheted creations to family and friends for years. They have always encouraged her to start a business, and when she heard about the Holiday Fair, she knew it was the perfect opportunity for her first art show.

“I really liked the fact that it was catered toward students with side hustles and there was no entry fee…This is definitely a nice way to ease my way into it,” Galindo said.

Katelyn Kauscher, a third-year marketing student, is the owner of All Weekend Long Craft Co. Kauscher said she has been crafting for as long as she can remember.

“All I’ve ever wanted to do is make and sell stuff,” Kauscher said.

Kauscher officially started her business in 2020 selling masks during the pandemic. Her business has grown since then, and she said she now does “a little bit of everything.”

Kauscher has been hard at work to get ready for the fair. She crafted for about 30-35 hours total this week alone, she said.

“My poor roommates have had to put up with my sewing all week,” Kauscher said.

Daylon Humphries, another student entrepreneur who tabled at the fair, is the owner of Prophetic Achievers LLC. He designs and creates hoodies and t-shirts featuring his unique logo.

Humphries hopes to convey an important message through his clothing brand.

“Growing up in Columbus, Ohio in a low income neighborhood, I lost a lot of friends due to gun violence that weren’t able to achieve their dreams,” Humphries said. “I want to change the African American stereotype to help kids get through college into their careers.”

Humphries heard about the idea from Loeffler who he had worked with before as a member of The Hatch. He has participated in multiple art fairs before, and he took this opportunity to promote his brand to students for the first time.

Humphries, a business major specializing in individualized business, said he hopes to continue growing his business through similar events.

“I know I can really make a huge impact not in just Ohio, but all over the world if I use my resources and network,” Humphries said

Loeffler said she hopes to bring the Holiday Fair back for many years to come and is proud of the first year’s success.

“It’s really awesome to see 24 different booths and students come out to sell their goods and have the community come out and support them,” Loeffler said. “It’s a really powerful and impactful event, so I’m really happy with how it turned out.”