Shaving heads for childhood cancer: St. Baldrick’s hosting Shave-A-Thon on campus

Photo by BGSU and St. Baldrick’s Foundation

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is hosting a Shave-A-Thon to raise money for pediatric cancer research Feb. 18.

Razors will be buzzing Sunday as the foundation is shaving heads to stand in solidarity with children who lose their hair due to cancer treatment.

“The Shave-A-Thon is a celebration of the families and children bravely fighting childhood cancer, and we shave our heads in solidarity and to raise awareness for those families’ situations,” said Alex Bakhaus, the event’s organizer.

The event is student-led and put on by the Office of Residence Life and National Residence Hall Honorary. BGSU’s campus has been the host of the event for the past 12 years.

Since the start of the fundraiser over a decade ago, participants have raised more than $172,000 for cancer research.

“St. Baldrick’s provides a community for families while simultaneously funding the most cancer research grants out of any non-government organization worldwide,” said Bakhaus.

Participants can choose between shaving their heads completely, or if they aren’t prepared for the plunge, they can donate their ponytail.

After a shaving occurs, the hair will not go to waste.

“Each year we select an organization that makes wigs to send the donated hair to,” said Bakhaus. “This year we have selected Locks of Love and Wigs 4 Kids.”

She also said if you would like to get involved, you don’t have to shave your hair to participate in the event. However, if you would like to, multiple types of hair are accepted, including curly hair that is equivalent to 10 inches when brushed out, treated, colored, permed and gray hair are also all accepted.

In addition, Bakhaus said fundraising is an essential piece of support for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation and they are more than halfway to their goal this year.

The Shave-A-Thon takes place February 18 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Bowen Thompson Student Union Multipurpose Room 228.

To learn more about the event or to sign up to participate, visit the BGSU St. Baldrick’s website.