BGSU baseball at Memphis series preview: Falcons continue Tennessee tour with matchup against the Tigers 

Keira Ellenberger
Sunday, Game 2: Nic Good in his pitching stance.

After splitting a three-game series against Middle Tennessee State to start the season, the Bowling Green baseball team will stay in Tennessee, heading three-and-a-half hours west to continue their 2024 campaign with a three-game series against Memphis from Friday, Feb. 23 through Sunday, Feb. 25.  

First pitch is set for 5 p.m. on Friday, 3 p.m. on Saturday and 2 p.m. on Sunday.

The Falcons are seeking their first three-game non-conference series win since 2020 and first three-game non-conference series sweep since 2010. 

Matchup History  

The three games will mark the first time the two teams have faced each other.  

Scouting Bowling Green  

Bowling Green enters the three-game series with a 1-2 record this season.  

The Falcons fell to MTSU in the first two games of the series on Friday and Saturday, 12-8 and 5-4, respectively. However, BG picked up their first win of the season in the final game against the Blue Raiders on Sunday, 7-3.  

BGSU is off to a fast start on offense this season, albeit after just three games.  

Along with leading the Mid-American Conference (MAC) with six home runs, the Falcons have struck out just 23 times, the fewest in the MAC.  

BG ranks second in the MAC with a .468 slugging percentage and eight stolen bases, ranking third in the conference with a .294 batting average, a .412 on-base percentage and 18 walks.  

Bowling Green’s pitching has been more of a mixed bag to start the season.  

The Falcons have allowed just one home run and walked just 10 batters, the fewest and second-fewest in the MAC, respectively.  

However, BG has also allowed an opponent batting average of .349, the highest in the conference.  

Scouting Memphis  

Memphis has had a rocky start to their season.  

The Tigers fell in their season-opener against Jacksonville State in 13 innings, 6-5.  

Memphis won their next game against the Gamecocks, 7-4. However, the Tigers lost the rubber match against Jacksonville State, falling in 10 innings, 13-9.  

The Tigers split their past two games, falling to Little Rock before defeating Central Arkansas.  

In their last game against the Bears, Memphis launched seven home runs, tying the program record.  

The Tigers’ offense is off to a hot start this season.  

Memphis leads the American Athletic Conference (AAC) with 39 runs scored, 13 doubles, 13 home runs, 29 walks and a .536 slugging percentage.  

However, the Tigers have struck out 56 times in five games, the most in the AAC.  

Memphis’ pitching has not been nearly as good as their offense through the first five games of the season.  

The Tigers have allowed 56 hits and a .301 opponent batting average, the worst in the AAC. Memphis also holds a 6.89 ERA and has walked 28 batters while allowing seven home runs, ranking second worst in the conference.  

However, the Tigers have racked up 45 strikeouts, the second most in the AAC.  

Falcon Four Players to Watch  

DJ Newman (Bowling Green #28)  

The two-way sophomore player has picked up right where he left off at the plate last season.  

In BG’s season-opener series against Middle Tennessee State, Newman hit .462 (6-13), hit a home run and stole three bases.  

However, he started a little rocky on the mound.   

Newman took his first loss of the season in the season opener, giving up seven hits and five runs, four of which were earned, in just three innings. The right-hander also struck out five while walking three.  

The Archbold, Ohio, native is the projected starter for the series opener against Memphis on Friday.  

Nic Good (Bowling Green #25)  

The junior left-handed pitcher is the projected starter for the Falcons on Saturday.  

Although Good did not get a decision on Saturday, he earned a quality start.   

The Grosse Pointe, Michigan, native gave up six hits and one run while striking out a career-high five batters without allowing a walk in a career-high five innings pitched against the Blue Raiders.  

Calvin Mitchell (Bowling Green #33)  

The sophomore right-handed pitcher is the projected starter for the Falcons on Sunday.  

The Wright State transfer earned the first win of the season for Bowling Green in his first start for the Orange and Brown on Sunday.  

Mitchell gave up just four hits and two runs, both of which were unearned, in five innings. The Brecksville, Ohio, native also struck out four batters while allowing just one walk against the Blue Raiders.  

Jack Kause (Bowling Green #7)  

The senior outfielder is off to a fast start this season.  

In the first series of the season against MTSU, Krause hit .455 (5-11), scored three times, hit a home run, drove in two runs and drew two walks.  

The Brighton, Michigan, native leads the Falcons with a .571 on-base percentage and a .727 slugging percentage through the first three games.