Velasco has career day as Falcons top Huskies

Amy+Velasco.
Drake Harlett
Amy Velasco.

Bowling Green women’s basketball took the floor against Northern Illinois in DeKalb on Saturday for the Falcons second road game of the week.

Erika Porter got the scoring started with back to back buckets for Bowling Green. The Falcons would continue to lead for the first nine minutes of the game until a barrage of three-pointers put the Huskies in front 20-19 at the end of the first quarter.

Bowling Green would retake the lead in the second quarter after tightening up their perimeter defense and finding some range on their own offensive end. The first half saw both Amy Velasco and Morgan Sharps score in double figures and Bowling Green take a 41-37 lead into the locker room at the break.

The third quarter proved to be the lowest scoring quarter of the game for both teams and the Falcons were able to maintain their lead throughout.

Amy Velasco would continue what would prove to be a career day scoring 15 points in the fourth quarter to bring her game total to 32, a new career high for the junior guard. Her defensive effort added to the record-breaking performance after grabbing six steals in the game, also a new career high.

The Falcons would earn their second victory against the Huskies this season by a final score of 82-73.

Bowling Green remains in the midst of the conference standings with a major upcoming matchup against the Buffalo Bulls who currently sit just ahead of the Falcons in the Mid-American Conference standings. The matchup against the Bulls will take place on Wednesday, February 28, at the Stroh Center. Tip-off is set for 7:00 p.m. with Falcon Media Sports Network coverage starting at 6:45 p.m. live on 88.1 WBGU.