BGSU MBB @ WMU preview: Falcons seeking first MAC Tournament berth since 2020-21 season

Jack Walsh
Rashaun Agee (12) step back jumper for the bucket

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team heads to Kalamazoo, Michigan, to battle Western Michigan in their final road game of the season, seeking to clinch a spot in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Tournament.  

With a win, the Falcons would clinch a berth in the MAC Tournament for the first time since the 2020-2021 season. Even without a win, the Orange and Brown can also clinch a spot in the tournament with a Ball State loss, a Central Michigan loss or a Toledo win on Tuesday.  

A victory on Tuesday would also guarantee BG at least the seventh seed in the MAC Tournament, secure a season sweep over the Broncos for the first time since the 2018-2019 campaign and mark the first road win for the Falcons since they defeated Ball State on Jan. 30 

Matchup History  

The contest will mark the 128th all-time meeting between the teams, with Bowling Green leading the series 76-51.  

The Falcons won the first matchup earlier this season, defeating the Broncos 84-79 on Jan. 20 at the Stroh Center 

Scouting Western Michigan  

Western Michigan enters the contest in eighth place in the MAC standings with a 10-18 overall and 7-8 conference record. The Broncos have won three out of their last four games.  

WMU’s offense ranks in the middle of the pack in the MAC.  

Although the Broncos rank sixth in the conference with a 34.4% three-point percentage, Western Michigan shoots 43.4% from the field and averages just 71.4 points per game, ranking eighth and ninth in the MAC, respectively. The Broncos also shoot just 62.1% on free throws, the worst mark in the conference.  

Western Michigan also struggles with ball security. The Broncos turn the ball over 13.4 times per contest, the second-most in the MAC.  

WMU’s defense is also in the middle of the pack in the conference.   

While the Broncos hold opponents to just 44.2% shooting from the field, the fifth-best mark in the MAC, they allow opponents to shoot 34.1% from beyond the mark and score 74.4 points per game, ranking the eighth and ninth in the conference, respectively.  

However, Western Michigan is one of the best rebounding teams in the MAC.  

The Broncos lead the conference with 12.7 offensive rebounds per game. They also average 37.9 rebounds per game and outrebound opponents by 2.8 boards per game, ranking second and third in the MAC, respectively.  

Scouting Bowling Green  

Bowling Green enters the meeting in sixth place in the MAC standings, holding a 17-12 overall and 8-8 conference record.  

The Falcons have struggled recently, losing two straight games and five of their last six contests.  

BG’s offense has been very inefficient this season.  

Although BGSU scores 74.1 points per game, the fifth-best mark in the MAC, they shoot just 43.1% from the field and 29.5% on three-pointers, ranking 10th and 11th in the conference, respectively.  

Bowling Green’s defense has struggled recently but still ranks in the middle of the pack in the conference.  

While the Falcons allow opponents to shoot 36.2% from beyond the arc, the worst mark in the MAC, they hold opponents to 44.3% shooting from the field and 71.5 points per game.  

However, BG is arguably the best rebounding team in the MAC.  

The Falcons lead the conference with 38.2 rebounds and 26.8 defensive rebounds per game. BGSU also grabs 11.4 offensive rebounds per game and outrebounds opponents by 2.9 boards per game, ranking second in the MAC.  

Falcon Four Players to Watch  

Rashaun Agee (Bowling Green #12)  

The senior forward has been dominant this season.  

Agee leads the MAC with 108 offensive rebounds, ranking second with 9.7 rebounds per game and a 58.6% field goal percentage.  

In BG’s last matchup against WMU, Agee notched a double-double, finishing with 12 points and a team-high 14 rebounds.   

The Chicago, Illinois, native has tallied four straight and 15 overall double-doubles, which is tied for the 11th most in the country. Agee needs 17 rebounds in the final two games of the season to break into the top 10 list for most boards in a single season in program history.  

Marcus Hill (Bowling Green #0)  

The junior guard has been one of the best scorers in the MAC this season.  

Hill leads the conference with 602 points scored and ranks 18th in the country with 20.8 points per game.  

In BG’s last game against the Broncos, Hill tallied his first and only double-double of the season, finishing with a team-high 28 points and 11 rebounds.  

The Rockford, Illinois, native currently has the eighth-most points scored in a single season in program history. Over the final two games of the season, Hill needs three points to pass Martin Samarco (604) for seventh, 18 to pass Justin Turner (619) for sixth and 23 to pass Tommy Harris (624) for fifth all-time.  

Seth Hubbard (Western Michigan #12)  

The sophomore guard, named to the All-MAC Freshman Team last season, is the center of WMU’s offense.  

Along with leading the Broncos with 14.4 points, 1.1 steals and 31.4 minutes per game, Hubbard ranks third in the MAC with 67 three-pointers.  

Owen Lobsinger (Western Michigan #20)  

The junior forward is one of Western Michigan’s key pieces on offense.  

Along with leading the Broncos with an 82.1% free throw percentage and ranking third on the team with 9.3 points per game, Lobsinger ranks ninth in the MAC with 6.2 rebounds per game and a 39.5% three-point percentage.  

In WMU’s last game against BG, Lobsinger led the Broncos with 25 points and seven rebounds. The Flint, Michigan, native shot 9-12 from the field and 7-7 on three-pointers against the Falcons.