Buffalo Bulls advance to MAC championship game, upset number one seed Toledo Rockets

The Buffalo Bulls defeated the Toledo Rockets in overtime 77-74 en route to the Mid-American Conference championship game. 

Here’s how it went down.  

Buffalo began with Rana Elhusseini starting red hot for Buffalo, hitting a quick three at the top of the key for the first points of the day for the Bulls, up 3-0. 

Buffalo put together a 9-0 scoring run to open the semifinal matchup, quickly putting the pressure on Toledo. 

At the end of the first quarter, Buffalo took a six-point lead against the Rockets, up 18-13 heading into the second quarter.  

Buffalo opened the second quarter the same way they started the first quarter, Hattie Ogden connecting on a three-point shot to extend Buffalo’s lead. 

The second and third quarters were both controlled by Buffalo, heading into the fourth quarter up 53-38 against Toledo. 

Now down double digits, Toledo employed a full-court defense, the up close and personal approach led to a six-point Toledo run and two Buffalo turnovers, now down 55-47 to Buffalo. 

Down by six, the Rockets found their way back to the ball, forcing another Buffalo turnover, with Lockett converting another layup for even more Toledo points.  

Minutes later, a Quinesha Lockett layup sealed a 14-0 run for Toledo and tied the game 55-55 with five minutes and nine seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. 

Mikonowicz sunk a layup to take a 57-55 Toledo lead over Buffalo- the first Rockets lead of the entire game. 

With four minutes remaining on the game clock, with both teams tied at 59-59, Elhusseini connected on a corner three to put Buffalo up 62-59 headed into a timeout. 

With time ticking away, Kiera Goss hit the biggest shot of the night for Toledo, sinking a three-point shot to give the Rockets their first lead all night, up 65-64 with one minute and 17 seconds remaining. 

Looking for even more momentum, Goss took the ball right out of Buffalo’s hands, hitting the fast break for a layup, scoring five straight for Toledo. 

As both teams battled each other, the battle ended in a standstill, headed into overtime tied 67-67. 

Buffalo took a three-point lead in overtime, up 77-74, after Ogden made one free throw. On the second shot, Ogden missed, the Rockets got the rebound and got on the fast break. 

Just seconds remaining on the clock, Lockett, wide open for a three, took the shot and missed, with Buffalo quickly grabbing the ball to seal the game. 

Chellia Watson was the major force behind the Bull’s win, scoring 30 points on 10-24 shooting.  

Buffalo advances to the MAC championship game on Saturday, facing the Kent State Golden Flashes at 11 a.m.