Haintz impressive showing not quite enough to advance

Mateya+Haintz
Scott Walstrom, NIU Athletics
Mateya Haintz

BGSU junior Mateya Haintz came into the NCAA Track and Field East Regional at the University of Kentucky seeded 33rd of 48 hammer throw competitors but finished 16th.

Her throws of 194′ 1″ mark (59.17m) and 191′ 1″ mark (58.51) did not qualify her to advance to the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Oregon, however. The top 12 throwers advanced with Haintz missing the trip to Oregon 3 feet, 4 inches. She topped the other three Mid-American Conference throwers, edging Eastern Michigan’s Miranda Cadwell by one inch.

This is the second consecutive season Haintz won the hammer throw at the MAC outdoor championship and advanced to the NCAA regional meet. This is also the second consecutive season the Pitt Meadows, British Columbia native exceeded her seeding at the regional level. Last year, she came in seeded 32nd but finished 29th.

“I like that I’m continuing to build a legacy here at BG,” Haintz said before the regional meet. “We have a strong program, especially in hammer throw and I’m glad I am continuing that for us moving forward.”

Teammate Bianca Staples competes in the triple jump Saturday.