Haintz continues BG’s hammer throw legacy with trip to NCAA qualifier

Mateya+Haintz
Luke Allen
Mateya Haintz

Fifth-year BGSU senior Mayeta Haintz earned a spot to participate in the NCAA qualifier for hammer throw after winning the event at the Mid-American Conference track & field championships earlier this month.  

“I like that I’m continuing to build a legacy here at BG,” Haintz said. “We have a strong program, especially in hammer throw and I’m glad I am continuing that for us moving forward.”

She will compete in the NCAA qualifier to make a legacy of her own, attempting to qualify at the NCAA Championships at Eugene, Oregon. 

Head track and field coach Lou Snelling said BG’s NCAA qualifiers, which include Haintz and Bianca Staples, have a right to be proud.

Our athletes that did qualify for the NCAA qualifier deserve credit for how amazing they have done with this accomplishment,” he said. 

The NCAA East Preliminary takes place May 22-25 at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. Athletes who qualified for that event will compete for a spot at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in Eugene beginning June 5.  Championship events will be broadcast on the ESPN networks