Democrats will use virtual roll call to get Biden on Ohio’s November ballot

The White House
President Joe Bident

The Democratic National Committee said it will use a “virtual roll call” to get around an Ohio deadline that could have kept President Joe Biden off the November ballot, according to the Associated Press.

According to the Ohio Capital Journal, the issue was identified in early April and both house of the state legislature put forth solutions. A House Bill passed after Senate Bill 92 was stripped out and the Senate passed a version of the bill as well but coupled it with a bill prohibiting national contributions for state ballot issues. Democrats balked at that issue. After significant back and forth, late last week Governor Mike DeWine called for a special legislative session to resolve the Biden ballot question.

The DNC’s move for a virtual roll call ahead of the party’s August 19 convention in Chicago ensures Biden will be on the ballot despite the state’s August 7 deadline to submit a candidate. DNC chair Jaime Harrison used the opportunity to chide Ohio Republican lawmakers.

“Joe Biden will be on the ballot in Ohio and all 50 states, and Ohio Republicans agree,” Harrison said in a statement. “Through a virtual roll call, we will ensure that Republicans can’t chip away at our democracy through incompetence or partisan tricks and that Ohioans can exercise their right to vote for the presidential candidate of their choice.”

While Axios reports roll calls were once an integral part of political conventions, they have become largely symbolic since the widespread advent of television and virtual roll calls were used in 2020 in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.