St. Patrick’s Day crime down from last year

This past holiday’s festivities led to more than two dozen citations from city police on St. Patricks Day, marking a decline from previous St. Patrick’s Day weekends.

Out of the 111 service calls police made on St. Patrick’s Day, 30 citations and arrests were made, said Deputy Chief Tony Hetrick of the Bowling Green Police Division.

The 30 citations are down from last year’s 55 arrests and citations according to a report from The BG News this past March.

Frigid temperatures may have contributed to the decline, the deputy chief said.

“It was in the 70s last year and a lot of people were out,” Hetrick said. “It was cold and rainy [on St. Patrick’s Day this year] but it still brings people out, so people drink and have a good time. But some people can’t handle alcohol and do stupid things when they’re drunk.”

St. Patrick’s Day last year also happened on a Saturday instead of a Sunday.

Because the holiday landed on a Sunday, bars on the West side of North Main Street cannot sell alcohol due to a zoning restriction, so they didn’t open, leading to less crowds downtown, Hetrick said.

Some students agree that the weather and day the holiday fell on do impact citations.

“In general in BG people don’t party as much in the winter because its colder and they don’t want to walk to the bars,” said freshman Eden Sharer. “It’s colder out than last year so there aren’t a lot of people causing trouble.”

While there might be a decrease from last year, Hetrick said alcohol violations such as open container and underage possession are common citations that rise in comparison to other weekends.

“It’s a big party weekend and the primary focus of St. Patty’s Day is drinking, which is where our main problems occur,” he said.

All of the ambulance runs on Sunday were alcohol related, said Stephen Meredith, the city’s fire chief.

The division made 10 runs dealing with over-intoxication, falls from intoxication or assaults, Meredith said.

Last year, the division made 35 ambulance runs, according to The BG News article.

Because of the anticipation of less incidents, Meredith said the division didn’t need to have extra employees on duty. The police, however, were prepared.

On Saturday night, there were two extra police in uniform and three investigators working downtown, Hetrick said.

City police also placed extra patrols in some of the major party areas such as North Main and Troup streets and Campbell Hill Road, he said.

Police also train bar employees on how to identify fake IDs the week before, he said.

They then send underage informants to the establishments to order alcohol to see if they get served.

“If they get caught, the establishment or clerk could be cited,” Hetrick said.

Last year they made 74 checks and issued 14 citations to establishments and employees, he said.

The penalty would be a first degree misdemeanor of furnishing alcohol to minors, which could result in a maximum $100 fine and 180 days in jail, he said.

“We’re just there to make sure people are safe,” Hetrick said.