Women’s basketball set to travel to Buffalo

Alexis Rogers holds off a Ball State defender under the hoop.

The BG women’s basketball team will look to begin a new winning streak against Buffalo Thursday night.

BG is coming off an impressive 84-59 win against Central Michigan, a team that was undefeated in the Mid-American Conference (7-0).

The team is starting a three-game road trip, which begins at Buffalo Thursday.

The Buffalo Bulls are currently 7-14 overall and are tied with BG and Akron with a 5-3 record in the MAC East. Buffalo is 2-2 in its last four conference games with a win in Oxford, Ohio, against MAC East leading Miami.

The Bulls lack a dominant scorer, with its three leading scorers averaging about 10 points per game. Freshman Rachel Gregory and junior Cherridy Thornton are tied for the first spot with 10.7 points per game.

In conference, Buffalo has seen significant spikes in scoring from players like forwards Kristen Sharkey and Mackenzie Loesing. Sharkey is averaging 11 points per game in conference along with a team leading 44.5 shooting percentage from three point range. Also, Loesing, a freshman, is third on the team in scoring overall and leads the team in conference play with over 13 points a game.

Currently, the Falcons are 5-3 in the MAC East with wins against Kent State and Ohio, and losses from Miami and Akron. With a Falcons win on Thursday and an Akron Zips loss against Eastern Michigan on Wednesday, BG would take sole possession of second place in the MAC East.

The Falcons will look toward another big performance by freshman Bailey Cairndruff. The freshman scored 14 points on four of six shooting against Central Michigan Sunday. All four of her buckets were three-pointers, while she also added two free throws.

That game marked the second of three games where the freshman scored in double-digit figures. BG is 3-0 when Cairndruff scores over 10 points. The win also marked the first time the Falcons had scored over 80 points this season as they are a perfect 5-0 in games where they score 70 or more.