Movie Review: “Warm Bodies”

Grade: B+

The story of Romeo and Juliet has been done many times and so has the zombie apocalypse, but “Warm Bodies” puts the two together to make a whole new take on both.

“Warm Bodies” takes a new perspective on zombie films by actually giving audiences the point of view from a zombie perspective.

The zombie (Nicholas Hoult) tells us his story through his thoughts because as we learn, most zombies cannot and do not talk other than general grunts and moans.

The zombie also cannot remember his name and eventually takes on the name R.

R is just plain funny. His take on his own life brings lots of laughs. Even when he just groans and moans, his facial expressions will also make you laugh.

Hoult deserves a lot of credit for his portrayal of the zombie. He brought so much life to a character that isn’t even suppose to have a heartbeat.

When R meets Julie (Teresa Palmer), he falls in love. Julie comes into R’s world sporting a gun and killing zombies, but I guess that was a turn on for him.

Their relationship is fun to watch and apparently the zombies like it too.

As the Beatles say, “Love is all you need.”

I’m not a fan of zombie movies usually. I don’t like the blood and gore that is associated with them, but “Warm Bodies” has just enough to make it feel like it is a zombie world, yet not too much to make me feel sick afterwards.

The only part I did not like was that there was very little development of John Malkovich’s character as Julie’s dad. I love Malkovich as an actor. He has so much talent, but the movie barely utilizes it.

I think had the movie pursued his character a bit more, it would have been a grade A movie.

I will definitely watch this movie again, and I encourage you to take a minute out of the ol’ zombie life to check out this zombie’s life.