Cairnduff helps Falcons put down Buffalo

The BG women’s basketball team pulled out a close win against the Buffalo Bulls in an away game Thursday night.

BG defeated the Bulls by a final score of 61-56, as a couple of Bailey Cairnduff’s late-game free throws put the game out of reach.

Buffalo had cut the Falcons’ lead to just three points, 59-56, with less than five seconds to go, but Cairnduff’s free throws kept the lead.

The freshman, who put up 14 points against Central Michigan this past Sunday, also made a three-pointer to give her five points on the night.

The Falcons’ shot nearly as well as BG had against Central Michigan, as BG shot 36 percent on 22 of 61 shooting against the Bulls.

BG looked as if they were going to win easily, running out to an 11-point lead on a 6-0 scoring run with just over 12 minutes left in the first half. Buffalo struggled to score, going over four minutes between field goals in that stretch.

Buffalo relied on good three-point shooting to keep them in the game. With the deficit still at 11, Buffalo’s Karin Moss would cut the lead to eight, 36-28, with a three-point bucket at the end of the first half.

In the game, Buffalo shot 50 percent from behind the arc. They were seven of 14 compared to the Falcons’ six of 23.

In the second half, Buffalo caught up and kept the margin at or around four points. The Bulls pulled the lead to a one-point gap, 37-36, with just over 15 minutes remaining. The Falcons answered by going on a 7-0 run to put them back up by eight with over 12 minutes remaining.

Buffalo rallied before Cairnduff’s free throws sealed the deal for BG.

The Falcons again had just one player scoring in double digits as senior Chrissy Steffen had 14. Junior Alexis Rogers had nine points, all in the first half, and finished with eight rebounds.

Buffalo was led by freshman Mackenzie Loesing, who in 37 minutes of play finished with 20 points and nine rebounds. The Bulls lead scorer this year, Cherridy Thornton, tied with Steffen as the game’s second-leading scorer with 14 points.

With the win, the Falcons move to 15-7 (6-3 MAC) on the year and are tied with Akron and Miami for first place in the MAC East.