Track and field prepare for MAC championships

The Bowling Green track and field team has shown the ability to improve every week, getting better and better as the season goes on.

The Falcons look to continue that improvement, as they will be competing in the Mid-American Championships February 22 and 23.

Two women who will be competing in the Championship meet, whether it is individually or in a relay, will be Allison Weimer and Brittany Sinclair. Weimer and Sinclair, along with runners like Taylor Rambo, Alicia Jefferson and many others, help provide that much needed depth every team needs.

Weimer has run consistently throughout the entire year while posting her personal best time of 57.67 at the Tom Wright Classic which was also her final home indoor meet. With times like those she has qualified for the MAC Championships in the 400-meter dash as well as qualifying with the 4×400 relay team as well.

“I have had a very successful indoor season. My times in the 400m have been consistent as well as some of my personal bests,” said Weimer. “I feel good knowing I am helping the team and being a role model for the underclassmen. Knowing this is my last season, all I can do is give it my best and leave it all on the track.”

Weimer has been here at the University for a total of six coaching changes throughout the entire staff. Going through all of those different coaching changes can have a negative effect on some athletes but not for her. Her leadership with the underclassmen and her work ethic has inspired all of her teammates around her.

“I would say she [Allison] is a major part of the team, her leadership qualities guide us all every day in practice and her strive to get better makes everyone around her want to get better,” said Sinclair. “She is very competitive in her events and only wants the best. She leaves her all on the track after every race including our relay.”

Although this is Weimer’s last indoor MAC championship, she will be looking to get a podium finish next weekend in Ypsilanti, Michigan. She is competing in the open 400-meter race and the 4×400 relay.

“Competing at indoor MAC championships has always been the meet of the season to me. With it being my last indoor meet ever, all I can do is run my heart out,” Weimer said. “My expectations for the relay, for one, are to break the school record. Also, I expect that each member on the relay team will give 100 percent and fight for a spot on the podium, breaking the record as well as scoring points for the team would be the icing on the cake.”

Sinclair is a redshirt sophomore who transferred from Duquesne University. This is her first year in a BG uniform and she has not disappointed by leading the Falcons in the 400 a few meets this year. She is also a part of the 4×400 relay team that has qualified too.

“I think the indoor season has been going well so far, it’s a better start than last season for me, and I set a new indoor personal record in the 400, 57.56, but there’s still a lot more work to do,” Sinclair said.

When Sinclair runs it is all business for her whether it is in the relay or the open 400 as she is always focused.

“Brittany has shown her ability and competitiveness with the rest of the team. She is a great teammate and continues to work hard each day to show her love for running,” Weimer said. “Her competition level is always at an all-time high, even during a warm up at practice she likes to be the first to cross the line. She is a key link to the 4×400 relay team.”

With such a young team, Sinclair will be a key part to their success in the next few years. Runners like freshman Taylor Rambo, sophomore Natalie Sommerville, junior Alicia Jefferson and many other runners they will be looking for good things to come in the future.

“We have a fairly young team, so we’re looking to really develop over the next years. We have a strong group of girls and a lot of MAC contenders,” Sinclair said. “The main reason why I chose BG was because of the atmosphere of the team. When I came on my visit, I liked how everyone interacted with one another with the same goal in mind, to get better.”

Though it is not certain yet if Brittany will qualify in the open 400 meter dash as she is currently ranked 21st and she must be ranked within the top 20, she is focused on helping the team compete to their best in the 4×400 relay next weekend.

“I expect the relay to be top 3, I think our 4 runners are really competitive and have the drive to win,” Sinclair said.

Both these girls are great teammates and key parts to their team’s success in the immediate and near future and they look to leave their all on the track next weekend as well as carry that momentum into the outdoor season too.