Long-distance relationships can be a challenge for students

When some high school students decide what college they are going to, they might consider going to the same college as their high school sweetheart, while others may go a different route.

Sophomore Kyle Terlop and his high school sweetheart of two years chose to go to different universities that were almost two hours apart.

“There was no doubt in my mind when I was in high school that our relationship would last through college,” Terlop said.

Half way through freshman year, Terlop and his girlfriend broke up because of the distance and college experience.

“I thought it would work out because we were in love and thought the distance wouldn’t be a big deal,” Terlop said. “College changed us as people. We didn’t have as much in common as we used to.”

Carissa Wott, psychology instructor at the University, explained why people change during the years students are in college.

“When people are in long-term relationships, the assumption is that the relationship will continue and will be successful over time,” Wott said. “Identity development continues through the college years.”

Wott explained that it is common for values and goals to change and significant others may no longer share important values and beliefs.

Along with being interested in other things, partners may become interested in other people, said Sandra Faulkner, communications professor at the University.

“It depends on the other people you meet,” Faulkner said. “We think about our options in alternative to the present relationship.”

Research suggests that about 25 percent of long-distance relationships are successful in the college, Wott said.

Other problems may occur in long-distance relationships, because there is not enough face-to-face communication between partners, Faulkner said.

Wott also explained why physical interaction with partners is important.

“An important part of romantic relationships is having joint experiences, and day-to-day interactions often help to build intimacy,” Wott said. “Studies show that in terms of interpersonal attraction, we are attracted to those who we are in frequent contact with. The more people experience something, the more they like it.”

A year later, Terlop believes that he has learned a valuable lesson from his own experience.

“It taught me that having a long distance relationship sucks, and I would not be in another one,” Terlop said. “There is a reason most of them don’t work out, and if they don’t work out then they weren’t meant to be.”