Women’s basketball defeat Northern Illinois

The BG women’s basketball team used long-range shooting to knock off the Huskies of Northern Illinois.

BG was 10 of 23 on the night, shooting 43.4 percent.

Seniors Danielle Havel and Chrissy Steffen led the way in that department, as they were a combined 7 of 10 from behind the arc. Havel was 3 of 3 from behind the three point line as she tied her career best. Both Havel and Steffen had 14 points apiece.

BG got out to a much better start than it did a week ago against Western Michigan. There, the Falcons struggled to score as they shot just 27 percent from the field.

The Falcons started strong, hitting five straight three pointers to open up the game. The point differential rarely got below single digits, in fact after the 14:26 mark of the first half the Huskies would get no closer than 11 points.

All the Falcons made a contribution in scoring. BG’s bench chipped in 14 of the team’s 60 points.

The Falcons showed some strong defense too as it held the Huskies less than 40 percent shooting from the field. It also forced Northern Illinois to commit 16 turnovers — six more than the BG.

Northern Illinois had just one player score over double digits in Amanda Corral, who had 12. The sophomore from Hobart, Ind. is the leading scorer for the Huskies averaging around 12 points per game.

The Falcons got to at least 60 points for the 17th time this season Saturday. The Falcons are 16-1 on the year in games which they score at or above sixty points.

Northern Illinois moves to 7-17 with loss and are 2-9 in conference. It sits at the bottom of the MAC West as it has the second worst conference record next to the Ohio Bobcats who are at 0-11 in conference.

BG is now 16-8 on the season but still remains one game behind Akron for the MAC East lead. The Falcons are also 4-2 when battling teams in the MAC West.

BG will meet up with Akron on Wednesday night in an attempt to tie for the top spot in the MAC East. The Falcons will also be looking at getting revenge on a 63-68 loss they suffered to the Zips back on January 31st.