Wood Lane levy passes with 56% of vote

Wood County voters passed a proposed $2.95 million tax levy for Wood Lane’s operational and capital needs.

Wood Lane, or Wood County Board of Development Disabilities, located on East Gypsy Lane, provides specialized services to children and adults with developmental disabilities. Services include educational, vocational and employment.

The five-year levy, which passed with 56 percent support from voters, will generate $8,068,117 per year for the organization. According to the language of the levy, an owner of a $150,000 home will pay $154.87 per year.

“Wood County has a rich history of supporting people in need,” said Melanie Stretchbery, Wood Lane superintendent. “We’re very excited about the opportunity to continue our services.”

Wood Lane, a public, non-profit agency, is supported by six continuing levies totaling $6.7 million, though collections have been reduced to $4.7 million due to state law.

Wood Lane’s annual operating budget is $29.9 million. State funding has decreased by 48 percent since 2000.

Mayor Richard Edwards expressed his support for the passage of the levy.

“This is an agency that has a rich history throughout Wood County of serving a population that needs a voice,” Edwards said.